Adventures in Hand Press

Easy to use and store!
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Adventures in Hand Press

Post by GRV01 »

So i got my Hand Press and ive made my first rounds! Haven't test fired them yet, maybe tomorrow. Been having​ some issues though

- Is the lock button and spring supposed to just fall out? If i turn my press upside down *bloop* it falls out and rolls away. Normal or am i missing a spring washer or something?

- Im trying to load as economically as possible and am trying to make use of one 38 die set with the Redding Die Spacers to easily (supposedly) switch between 38 and 357. Anyone else try these?

Im aware itd just be easier to stick to just 357 brass (or buy a second die set) but i just have so much 38 brass (alot for me anyway, i know 270ish isnt very many to some of you!) and less than a hundred 357 so i wanna make use of them. Furthermore im mostly done buying factory ammo for these guns but i have decided to buy factory defense ammo in 38 so regardless ill have a somewhat steady 'income' of 38 brass so i dont want to swear off it completely

- im keeping a catalog of COALs for any rounds i make and buy, including factory. Most of the factory 357 has been a little under 1.6" (1.56, 1.57 etc) and ive loaded 10 rounds of 357 and a dozen of 38 both at 1.56" which is a sweet spot for my M92 but then looking again at Modern Reloading 2nd Ed i see the load MINOAL for 357 is 1.61"! This is quite confusing considering most my factory ammo measured under that. Ill have to double check (at work now, oops) but i think the same load in 38 MINOAL is 1.4ish. Will double check when im home
Last edited by GRV01 on 10 May 2017 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Adventures in Hand Press

Post by RBHarter »

The joys of reloading !
If you have a good load that's short for 357 and long for 38 that cycles well without any pressure issues or tells then I'd say don't sweat it .
This is why most manuals will have a minimum or maximum length listed . The 38/357 gives you a lot of wiggle room especially in a 357 platform where there is no chance of getting a 357 loaded 38 case seated long in a 38 . Start with a start load and work up for best accuracy . That's how it's done generally .
In my case I have 38s and 357s so I have to have separated loads .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GRV01

Post by GRV01 »

Home now, rereading MR2ndEd i see the MINOAL recommendation is when using max loads which im not

Load is same for 38 and 357: Mixed Brass, 3.2gr (using .3CC Dipper) HP38, 158gr Hornady Swaged LRN

Eventually id like to get powder coated 125gr and 158gr LRNFPs, the former for 38 using HP38 and the latter for 357 using H4227 (if i can find it, LGS doesnt carry it and wont order just a pound due to hazmat fees) but for now while im learning just sticking to these swaged Hornadys.

Eager to test them out
No thin chicks
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

With cast bullets or swaged , I would go the other way . I have a Lee 6 cavity 358-125 RNFP and an older 2 cavity 358-158 RNFP the 125 works well in 9mm 38 and 357 but reaching the full potential of the 357 requires a bullet alloy that makes it mostly a paper puncher . The 158 gr is actually pretty easy to drive as hard as it will go and leave some expansion on the table for game . With Unique as a bonus in an 18" Marlin 1894CB I got an extra 400 fps with the 158 RNFP over the same load in the 6" Security 6 .

Just food for thought.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:- Is the lock button and spring supposed to just fall out? If i turn my press upside down *bloop* it falls out and rolls away. Normal or am i missing a spring washer or something?
http://leeprecision.net/support/index.p ... e-lock-pin
Michael
GRV01

Post by GRV01 »

Thanks for the link Ranch Dog, certainly helped

so loaded some more using a different powder, HS-6 at 7 gr (.5CC Dipper) and shoots great. Extremely accurate, but I find myself wanting more oomph

No loading data for H-110 using cast lead 158gr which is disappointing and even if there was it seems like H110 is such a finicky powder. Still wish he'd order me some 4227

anyway, having fun but im also learning I don't really like batch loading. Leaning more toward getting a turret when im ready to upgrade
No thin chicks
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

H110 and 158gr cast is very common no matter what the powder maker thinks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

GRV01 wrote:anyway, having fun but im also learning I don't really like batch loading. Leaning more toward getting a turret when im ready to upgrade
Your hand press really is a GREAT press, now that it's been upgraded to use bushings. Don't give up on batch loading. Its was the standard method for most of my reloading life and my press didn't have those quick change bushings. I still do all my 30 cal rifle reloading that way. Do you have a reloading block? MTM makes a universal one for about $7 and there several of us who've made their own.

I do understand you desire to get the Classic turret. Heck even the original turret is a great press. Either will speed up the process. Reloading presses are just the tip of the iceberg in this reloading addiction but you give up on the budget down that slippery path. (At least for the short term.) But I bet you will never give you the hand press. It really is a valuable tool on any bench.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

That's why I buy most of my reloading stuff used....gives me more room to experiment. Also have to be patient for the right items to come up.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
GRV01

Post by GRV01 »

Definitely not giving up on Hand Press, its just giving me a helluva grip on my left hand and after 50 rounds i then have a claw where once was a fist. Maybe thats why im disliking batch loading and if i had an actual mounted press it wouldnt be so bad

In any case even if i had a press and bench tomorrow i still wouldnt get rid of Hand Press since its convenient to do things on the couch when im hanging out with wifey like priming or sizing, and my 9yo daughter is taking an interest; she watches me reload. Can speed things up having her deprime for me :D
No thin chicks

Return to “Hand Presses”