2 coats of lube ?

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

2 coats of lube ?

Post by larryw »

Evening folks, I sure would appreciate everyone's actual experience & opinions.
Using LLA & Johnson's liquid wax mix.
Lube before sizing then again after sizing. Question is.
Anyone shoot cast with just first lubbing before sizing, relying on the lube just in the grooves?
Severe leading ? Accuracy ? Nothing, all's well ?
Hey, I might be an old loader & old wanna be famous Smith but I'm just still a babe in the
woods in the casting thing :)
Thanks in advance folks, Take care & be safe..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 2 coats of lube ?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, I have. All that matters is that the lube grooves/bands are filled. If the bullet has a gas check on it, I prefer to run them through the sizer first and then lube and continue...
Michael
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeah, I have. All that matters is that the lube grooves/bands are filled. If the bullet has a gas check on it, I prefer to run them through the sizer first and then lube and continue...

Howdy Michael, thanks for the fast reply. Outside of hollering about the sticky, stinky LLA, all
I have ever heard is " if you can easily see it on the boolit it's to much " ?????
Now I hear " Fill the band's " & double coat ??? Hey, ill learn it in time :):)
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Generally speaking, it is whatever is enough and just enough. That typically is determined with the shooting that follows, adjusting the coats up or down.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

done it both ways rifle and pistol didn't seem to matter

make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
jloader

Post by jloader »

LLA & Johnson's liquid wax mix with a bit of mineral spirit - takes longer to dry, coats thinner but when dry (24hrs) it is not sticky to touch.
However.... if you size after they are fully dry, will need to use q-tip with mineral spirits to clean your re-sizing die. But that's a small price to pay.
Like others, I used 1 and 2 coats and had no leading in 9mm and 38 sp target loads.

Since I'm in a much cooler climate in Michigan and still waiting for Al Gore's global warming predictions to come true, I prefer pan lube - it does not require as much cleaning of dies and just a swipe with dry q-tip does the job.
Would not recommend this in hot climates thou as it would melt, contaminate powder and not lube as desired.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Right now I pan and machine lube with Emert's and adjust the ratio of beeswax to Crisco depending on winter or summer. I usually change the amount of Crisco by about 3% and it seems to work. Also ty to keep all the ammo out of the direct sun.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't like TL molds because of a bad mold experience.

I don't like pan lube because of how badly it fouls size dies.

I guess I should size before PL but then I'd have to run 1/3 back through to GC. I like LLA/Johnson's but I only use it after sizer/HC/Mech lube to seal my hot bullets.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
GRV01

Post by GRV01 »

I ask as a reloading rookie, why mix the two different lubes, in this case the Alox and Wax versus just one or the other?
jloader wrote: . . .
Since I'm in a much cooler climate in Michigan and still waiting for Al Gore's global warming predictions to come true. . .
No need to wait here in Miami. During especially high tides every month the ocean comes up right out of the sewer grates at the beach. Summers are drier and hotter, winters warmer and wetter, fruit crops doing poorly (like lychee) and on and on, and getting worse every year.
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:I ask as a reloading rookie, why mix the two different lubes, in this case the Alox and Wax versus just one or the other?
jloader wrote:LLA & Johnson's liquid wax mix with a bit of mineral spirit - takes longer to dry, coats thinner but when dry (24hrs) it is not sticky to touch.

However.... if you size after they are fully dry, will need to use q-tip with mineral spirits to clean your re-sizing die. But that's a small price to pay.
jloader covered it with his response. A thinner coat that dries harder and leaves less residue in the dies, especially within the bullet seating die's seating plug.
Michael

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”