Powder measure

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
carpriver
My Press Choice: Turret

Powder measure

Post by carpriver »

I have been using the Lee Auto powder measure since it came on the market, At first my drops were .01 to .03 over the set amount. after using it for a couple months the drops were right on the mark. This is the most accurate measure in have used from Lee. no powder leaks, and easy to transfer powder back into the can.

I really like my Lee reloading equipment, I bought it when I did because It was what I could afford, I had researched several re loaders and the Lee reveiws were good so I spent the money and I have never looked back. Now all my dies are mounted in there own turrets and in there own red tower box. If I have one complaint is the plastic parts, but they are cheap and do last quite a while if not abused.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Powder measure

Post by daboone »

For me it seems every new PM requires a break in period. Whether new or used I take it apart and clean it and dry it. Then I run 2 loads of powder thru the hopper while learning how it operates, feels and sounds. While that PM is teaching me how it works , the feel and sound during that first full hopper it's very inconsistent. Then during that second hopper either it starts work or I finally start doing what I'm suppose to be doing. Who knows why it takes a PM so long to finally do things right? :? :roll:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Powder measure

Post by jloader »

If the gunpowder was liquid it would be consistent. But it's not... It's flakes, spheres, tubular etc.
The disk measure uses volume as it's determining factor and uses gravity to feed the cavities.

When you just pour the powder to the hopper it is loose and will give inconsistent drops, then it will start to settle but after about 50 drops (small caliber), it will give smaller measures - if that happens, tap the hopper every 5-10 drops to prevent the powder from stacking up.

In theory, humidity changes could also affect the way powder particles "stick" to each other and affect drop weight. Don't bring warm container of gunpowder from the store + 30 minutes in hot trunk of your car to a cool, moist basement and expect any consistency - let it stabilize for a few hours first.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”