Case slider on Loadmaster

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Case slider on Loadmaster

Post by Steve »

The case slider on the Loadmaster after getting dirty will become a little jerky when moving in.

The original instructions in the Lee manual said to lube the edges of the case slider with a few drops of oil (My shaky memory).

I have all other parts of the case feeder working perfect. A last few long running sessions the jerky movement started. When I cleaned the packed in crud from the bottom of the case feeder and the surface that it runs on. I put a drop of synthetic gear lube (the same lube I use on the rest of the lube points) on the end of a screw driver and dabbed it on the edge surface that the case slider runs on.

Be sure to wipe the excess oil from the surface that the case slides on, on my press it runs very smooth for about a thousand rounds. Using a tiny amount in the first place helps eliminate much cleanup.

Remember just a drop of oil on a small screwdriver tip applied to each side is plenty. This method eliminates stopping to clean the case slider as frequently.
jloader

Re: Case slider on Loadmaster

Post by jloader »

I've also ended up polishing the arm on which the cases slide from the tubes to the case holder plate - fresh from factory it is quite rough surface which ends up scraping any dirt from the bottom of the cases and, ever-so-slightly, shaves the bottom of the slide. Both contribute to crud accumulation and jerky motion. You will probably notice that the crud is black in color - an alluminum/black plastic mix.

You may also read thru this thread: http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1815
Steve

Post by Steve »

jloader wrote:I've also ended up polishing the arm on which the cases slide from the tubes to the case holder plate - fresh from factory it is quite rough surface which ends up scraping any dirt from the bottom of the cases and, ever-so-slightly, shaves the bottom of the slide. Both contribute to crud accumulation and jerky motion. You will probably notice that the crud is black in color - an alluminum/black plastic mix.

You may also read thru this thread: http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1815
This worked well for me.
http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php ... ider#p9610
jloader

Post by jloader »

That wire to hold the square rod in place is a band-aid (a very solid at that) and would not work with priming, but the source of the vibrations is somewhere else - I think I've found it but need to do some measurements, address the issue and re-test.
Will post shortly, maybe even tonight or tomorrow....
Steve

Post by Steve »

support of the square tubing is the only way you can get the jump out of it. On my other press I bring the brace up from the table. The (band aid) is permanent and does a wonderful job.
jloader

Post by jloader »

Steve wrote:support of the square tubing is the only way you can get the jump out of it. On my other press I bring the brace up from the table. The (band aid) is permanent and does a wonderful job.
I am 90% positive that I've identified the issue and got the "jump" fixed... I worked on it some over the last two nights...
For the remaining 10% of my skepticism, I'm gonna run a couple 100-case batches thru it tonight to be absolutely sure of the fix....

Just wait for it...
Steve

Post by Steve »

Good luck with it jloader. I just showed what worked for me over a few thousand rounds, some people may be able to get some use from it.
jloader

Post by jloader »

Got the jerky motion of the case slider SOLVED!!!!
I've tested it with 200 cases and not a single jerky motion....
So here is the issue... you have two parts (case slider - black and the 'motion controller' - gray) moving back and forth in a linear motion but they are at about 45 degree angle to each other AND separated by about 3/4 inch (center to center) and connected by the Z bracket (the silver wire). On top of that you add constantly varying angles as the 2 sliders move and varying amount of force depending on stage of movement.
If that is not enough, the slots in which the Z bracket seats and moves thru have huge gaps.
Look at these 2 first pictures. See which way the Z bracket is twisting in relation to the black slider? It's about 10 degrees total movement. (I've removed the case feed tubes for picture clarity.)
1.JPG
2.JPG
So the whole contraption is torquing and twisting in all directions depending on which part of the pull you are on. That torquing motion causes both the black and gray sliders to twist and bind against the surfaces that they slide against - that causes the jerks. Keeping everything perfectly clean will reduce the jerks but, as we've experienced it, after about 50-75 cases, the jerking comes back.
Immobilizing the square rod to the press or bench simply masks the jerking by transferring the vibrations to larger mass (press or bench).

So the solution is to reduce the twisting of the parts.
Note that the black slider has the receiving hole for the Z bracket only on one side. I'm sure Lee had a reason for that design.
Here is the solution, and it does come very cheaply:
3.JPG
In my case I used about 3/8"length of 1/4" pot sprinkler hose but I think that 1/4" Poly pipe would do just fine.
And you place it on the exposed side of the Z bracket against the black slide. Note that my hose has a nice light blue stripe along it - I guess Home Depot knew I would be taking pictures of it and wanted to make it stand out. :roll:
4.JPG
5.JPG
Now the angle movement is reduced to no more that 2 degrees.

Seems like the problem is solved.

Not sure it this has something to do with the above mod, but not a single case had "jumped" off the slide table on to my bench in my initial 200 case run - I almost always had to "hand-hold" the last case in each tube as it dropped on to the slide table and promptly fell off onto the bench.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Great work keep us posted to how it holds up +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Glad you've got something that's working for you. I've noticed the same "twist" to the z-bar as the press cycles the case feeder. Most of that can be eliminated by careful adjustments of the feed rod that the crank slider (gray one) runs on. Make it as close to inline with the case feeder tongue as you can get it by loosening the feed bracket. Once that's done tighten the feed bracket nut. Then turn the feed rod ( I use a small crescent wrench) so as when the press is cycled and both the case slider and crank slider are moving the z-bar stays adjacent to the crank slider. (Doesn't move back an forth in the hole) On both my presses there is less than a 1/16 inch movement. Some of the "jumping" can also be caused by the feed rod being either to close in or to far out from the press itself. You just have to "experiment" with that. Lee does give you a measurement, it's close. But, with two different planes of travel and not real precise tolerances, things are still going to "bump". I will give your "fix" a try. Thanks.

Return to “Progressive”