The new Lee two cavity bullet molds

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: The new Lee two cavity bullet molds

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I still think I may be able to fix my issue with some shims if I remove the pins. I may even try to drill a hole clear through and then replace the pins with bolts and that might hold the blocks a little tighter.
Yeah, I understand. I tried make a video to show how my mold's fit is, sorry about the quality as no one was around to hold the camera.

[youtube][/youtube]
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I also need to loosen the handle's bolt. A couple of them are super tight and the worst one I have to pry them apart to open them. Again, I assume they were just pumped out in this massive rush and I should have held off on buying them. I lack patience for waiting for most anything though.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I bought three or four of the new design molds and had the same problem. I just turn them over and they self-align and close easily.
graphic914
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by graphic914 »

i have almost the same problem, my work around is to shake the mold as i close it
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

I just got a new design C452-300RF mold. My handles are loose in the grooves of the alum blocks too. It closes well if held straight up. I never gave a thought that the condition was bad. With the tapered alignment pins only the pins are free to fit the blocks together instead of relying on the handles to be straight and true. Am I looking at this wrong?
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:With the tapered alignment pins only the pins are free to fit the blocks together instead of relying on the handles to be straight and true.
The tapered alignment pins are what aligns it. I adjust the handle nut to my liking. I just bought two single cavity mold, the 12 gauge slug molds, they are of the new design with no issues. Getting ready to cast with them this morning.
Michael
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

I bought a once used new style C452-255RF last week that wobbles more than the wheels on a Laurel and Hardy model T.

The only way to close it is to set it down on something flat with the sprue plate open.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

So I'm not the only one. I still use them but they sure slow me down. They do cast some very nice bullets still. Boolits.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I cast with four new style molds yesterday afternoon; the C309-113-F, REAL 50-250, REAL 50-320, and the 7/8 Slug Mold. All of them cast slick as a whistle! For some reason using that C309 made me crazy. I really hate double cavity molds. Nothing wrong with the mold, all wrong with dropping two when I could be dropping six so I stopped. Lee had sent me their drawing so I'm going to revise it with Micro-Bands and order a six cavity.

Funny, because casting with the REAL designs as double cavity and the single cavity slug mold don't bother me but the alloy level in the pot is dropping a lot faster with these large cavity molds.
Michael
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

How soon will it be available for sale? I have the single cavity mold, must be over 15 years old. Still does a good job, but six at a time would be super.

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”