Digital Infrared Thermometer

Precision Melter, Magnum Melter, Production Pot IV, and Pro 4-20
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Digital Infrared Thermometer

Post by jloader »

I have a good digital infrared thermometer. Picked it up on a-zon some time ago and it is quite accurate and has range up to 1022F.
Don't feel like spending about $50 on a bulky lead analog thermometer that would interfere with adding more lead and fluxing.

I tried using it to measure my molten lead in the pot but it registers about 400F because of the reflections from the shiny surface.
I know that this thermometer works well in the 700F range as I was getting good readings when smelting and measuring temps of copper bullet jackets floating in the pot.

Anyone has any suggestions in using infrared thermometer successfully? Or should I just float a small piece of copper on the surface? Hmm that gives me an idea...
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Digital Infrared Thermometer

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Someone suggested floating a penny on the surface. I would think a not so brite would work best if that works.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

Many have tried (including me) to get an infrared thermometer to get correct readings of lead and none have succeeded . Not even with thousand dollar industrial ones.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Won't work on the surface. I have one for work.

The probe on my PID doesn't interfere because it's a bottom pour pot and I have it mounted out of the way.

I don't flux much at all in my bullet pot and my smelter is an entirely different set up without a thermometer.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I'm the last one anyone should listen to on this subject but I have a what if? Wouldn't a steel or iron bar extending from he bottom of the pot to several inches above the surface conduct the heat signature for a inferred infrared reading? It's just a thought so don't laugh. :roll:

+corn
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Possibly after hours of the pot running. On a bottom pour that'd be harder than building a PID.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Someone suggested floating a penny on the surface. I would think a not so brite would work best if that works.
In principal that would work, but in reality it won't. Every movement of the lead will spill a bit over the top of the penny, or flip it around, and then again it is covered with molten lead.

Is the outside of your pot visible at some place?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

GasGuzzler wrote:Possibly after hours of the pot running. On a bottom pour that'd be harder than building a PID.
Heck I use a PID controller and love it. I'm just shooting from the hip here so please don't take offence. I think a 1/8in thick by 1/2in wide by whatever the length required to reach from the bottom of the pot to maybe 2in above the surface would not take any longer to heat up than getting the pot up to melting. Securing the bar to the pot would take a single screw maybe off setting the bar from the side of the pot or perhaps just a small c-clamp.

Would the 2in above the surface cause that much reduction of the temperature? I'm sure I'm missing something about infrared temperature measurements. I thought of this because I used to set molds up on the rim of my Lee pot while heating the alloy and they are ready to go by the time the I get the temp I want. (Now days I use a recycled Goodwill hot plate to do that job.)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
jloader

Post by jloader »

GasGuzzler wrote: The probe on my PID doesn't interfere
This is awkward... but what is PID? When I google it I get "Pelvic Inflammatory Disease" - I'm sure that's not what you guys are referring to... :lol:
jloader

Post by jloader »

Fyodor wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:Someone suggested floating a penny on the surface. I would think a not so brite would work best if that works.
Is the outside of your pot visible at some place?
It's a free standing bottom pour "Production Pot IV" pot so the outside of the pot is visible. Are you suggesting just measuring the temp of the outside of the pot or are you referring to the actual interior pot?

Come to think, I could try the temp on the inside wall of the pot...

Return to “Melters & Furnaces”