Lee Universal Flaring Die

Tools that represent the "odds and ends" of bullet casting.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee Universal Flaring Die

Post by daboone »

Anybody using the Lee Universal Flaring Die? Likes or dislikes? How do set the die to get consistent flares/selling?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee Universal Flaring Die

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Anybody using the Lee Universal Flaring Die? Likes or dislikes? How do set the die to get consistent flares/selling?
I use it prefer to use it with the NOE Expander Plugs. His inventory has run a bit thin and when I talked with him last week he thought he would be addressing that in the near future.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I have 3 of his powder thru dies for handguns and another Mdie replacement. I do like the stepped expanders better but it would be nice if I could get the Lee belling die to be consistent.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

My flare with it is so small being off a bit is no big deal. Then the FDC removes the flare or at least that is what my calipers keep telling me. =)

I don't shoot past 100 yards but my grandson keep knocking the target over at 200 yards the last time we went.
Je suis Charlie
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

daboone wrote:Anybody using the Lee Universal Flaring Die? Likes or dislikes?
I use it on the 350 Auto 100 gr RN. I have it set in station 2 of the Loadmaster. Just ahead of powder with no flare. To me it is easier to setup and maintain than a M-die.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

As long as case length is uniform I haven't had any problems with the Universal Case Expanding Die in the past. I have replaced the Lee plugs with the NOE in all my applications as I prefer the shallow deeper expansion that they provide.

Same with my Powder Through Expander Dies, I actually think the Lee plugs in these dies are too aggressive in the way they roll the case mouth back. I replaced them with the NOE PTE Plugs when they were first available, all except the 9x18 Makarov. One was not available in that caliber (.365").
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Yep that 9x18 mak is a problem child. I ordered my last 500 cases from Starline. I checked everyone of them with Lee Case Length Gauge and had to trim a few. Now after several reloads of the current batch they are "growing" shorter by various amounts. Thus the inconsistent belling. :(

62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I forgot about the case length that would make a difference with the Lee flaring tool. I trim all my 308 Win cases to 2.005 so I wouldn't have a problem.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Yep that 9x18 mak is a problem child. I ordered my last 500 cases from Starline. I checked everyone of them with Lee Case Length Gauge and had to trim a few. Now after several reloads of the current batch they are "growing" shorter by various amounts. Thus the inconsistent belling. :(
Kind of curious what your load is and what pistol you have?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:
daboone wrote:Yep that 9x18 mak is a problem child. I ordered my last 500 cases from Starline. I checked everyone of them with Lee Case Length Gauge and had to trim a few. Now after several reloads of the current batch they are "growing" shorter by various amounts. Thus the inconsistent belling. :(
Kind of curious what your load is and what pistol you have?
Had to "hold that thought" as I was interrupted...

In that most Makarovs are blowback actions rather than locked, a light to medium load might not be consistently holding the cartridge in place through expansion so, hence; the brass is growing at a different rate. I shoot a max load, by QL calculation, with my TL367-100-RF and my Starline brass remains very uniform.

My pistol is the CZ82 and the load 4.1-grains of Universal.
Michael

Return to “Accessories and Other Tools”