Auto Disk on Loadmaster

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Deleted User 1445

Auto Disk on Loadmaster

Post by Deleted User 1445 »

Just setting my Loadmaster up, teething problems. My question is regarding the Chain Return. Since I also have Classic Turret press, I noted that the spring return for the Autodisk powder measure works exceedingly well there. Is there some reason (I cannot see) as to why I can't use that spring return system on the Loadmaster? This would eliminate that chain. Thoughts appreciated.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Auto Disk on Loadmaster

Post by Fyodor »

Of course you can use the spring return, too.

But the chain will eliminate the risk of a double charge, which is much more likely on a progressive press. Anything that disturbs your stroke, if you have to redo the last inch of travel, you'll have a double charge with the spring return. The chain return will reset the measure only when the ram is actually lowered ask the way, while the spring return will reset as soon as you start lowering.

On progressive presses I would only use the chain return. Some reloaders modify that and replace the chain by a rod, which won't snap, but still keeping the advantages of the chain return.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
jloader

Post by jloader »

100% agree with Fyodor here. I've had a few situations where the primer was getting misaligned and had to back up the ram about 2" to fix primer. Glad for the chain as it prevented the double load and after fixing the primer I could proceed with the loading without worry or removing double-charged case.
Deleted User 1445

Post by Deleted User 1445 »

Thanks for the info guys. I think the chain has additional value (now) compared to the spring on the Classic.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

When running a progressive press anything you can do to eliminate the chance of a double charge is time and effort well spent. I've had another brand progressive for around 20 years now and can honestly say I've never had a double. Primer problems on occasion early on, but no double charges.

It doesn't hurt to have some sort of double charge warning device if you have the room in your turret.

Be safe
Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The best double charge prevention device is to use a powder charge that will cause the case to overflow with an additional charge.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

That will make you realize the double charge, but it won't prevent it from happening. And a double charge on a case with 90+% fill level is a nasty mess, especially on a progressive press.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:The best double charge prevention device is to use a powder charge that will cause the case to overflow with an additional charge.
+1 +1

More often than not it's a better powder choice anyway.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:The best double charge prevention device is to use a powder charge that will cause the case to overflow with an additional charge.
+1 +1

More often than not it's a better powder choice anyway.
Right on both counts - you know it and it's likely a better choice but you still have to stop loading and clean the press. Down time from production.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Point well made. Just don't double. :-)

I've never shot a double but I've built a squib or two....all on an LCT with an auto disc.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Progressive”