crushed cartridge neck in through die

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
kofekupbtcme9
My Press Choice: Progressive

crushed cartridge neck in through die

Post by kofekupbtcme9 »

I'm new to reloading 223 with lee 1000 progressive is get it to work except in the through powder die, with out the powder charger case goes up and comes down fine, but when I attach the powder dispenser
it crushes the cask neck in one form or other, ive set the tie till it touches back off onw turn, have tried to back of die till it 1/8 inch away same results, what am I doing wrong thanks in advance
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: crushed cartridge neck in through die

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!

From your description "...with out the powder charger case goes up and comes down fine, but when I attach the powder dispenser it crushes the cask neck in one form or other..."

It sounds as though you are setting up the die without the dispenser mounted on the die.
rifle_charging_die.jpg
The above is the old set of instructions, the new below references the Auto Drum but the setup remains the same with mounting the dispenser to the die and setting it up with a case in the shell holder. The older instructions are more descriptive.
rifle_charging_die_new.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
kofekupbtcme9

Post by kofekupbtcme9 »

thanks for the information will try it
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Let us know how it goes.

One thing that I do when setting up a dispenser, pistol or rifle, is use a fresh case every time I cycle the ram. If you don't you will end up crushing the cases when you start your reloading runs. As you adjust the die, you are causing the case neck to flare and if you use the same case over, you end up seating the die to deep on the case. Once the die/dispenser is adjusted, just resize the cases that were used in the setup and you are good to go.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

One advice for setting up the pro1000 is to do so "as running". Which means, the powder dispenser has to be mounted, all dies are in place, and you run it with a full shellplate. Best is to set up the case feeder first, so you can cycle the press without manually placing new cases all the time.

While initially setting up, you will use up some cases and bullets. You can reuse the last few, when everything was set up correctly, as dry fire cartridges, and as a reference, in case you had to take out a die for cleaning.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Progressive”