Dipping Alox

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Dipping Alox

Post by daboone »

Maximumbob54 wrote:...... Alox is one of those rare products that a little really does go a long way. Even the dipping method puts way too much on but once sized it has just the right amount. ........
I almost agree. :? ;)
Let me explain why I say that. I collect C&R rifle and handguns. Many of them have been well loved and or abused. Some of them just need a very light coating as you stated and some of them need undiluted Alox. Yep it's smoky but it works. So what you say is very correct for barrels that are in good condition but if there is a worn throat or pitting the extra strength does improve the performance. FYI I do slug or chamber cast my guns before sizing. And sometime it's not the lube but the bullet that that doesn't work for a particular gun and sometimes the "extra lube" or another type of lube is the cure to better performance.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Rooster59
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Rooster59 »

I get no more smoke than with commercial bullets and the hard blue lube. Even if it did smoke I wouldn't care. The deer I shoot at never get a chance to locate me by smoke anyway. :)
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I guess I should have said assuming everything is already optimal. I've not shot anything so worn that it needed straight alox. I've not cast for and shot this Enfield yet though so while the bore looks good who really knows what is lurking in a wartime production Brit... :shock:
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

So what 303 do you have. LarryW and I both shoot jungle carbines. :D

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Still haven't shot it though. Slacking. Big time. And I think I just blew out my lead furnace last weekend.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I have the Lee C324-175-1R and fortunately is drops at .326 with the current WW mix. This is covenant as my bore is 324.3. I used 45/45/10 or carnauba red and 2400. I guarantee you'll love shooting the old war horse.

Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

WOW. I've not tried to check mine but I just cast some bullets with the Lee mold and they are dropping at .312' - .313" which is way skinny to what you are using. Is this mold no good???
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Maximumbob54 wrote:WOW. I've not tried to check mine but I just cast some bullets with the Lee mold and they are dropping at .312' - .313" which is way skinny to what you are using. Is this mold no good???
:roll: :roll: :? My bad.... the sounds of sugar plums were dancing in my head :oops: :oops: I was working on my 98K Mauser today and had that mold stuck in my head. Sorry Sorry Sorry. What a goof I am :?

The .303's chamber cast is 314.2. I beagled the mold to get .316. This 303 carbine still get's 2400 and the bullets are lube the same too, 45/45/10 for tumble lube or 50/50 or carnauba red, which ever is in the lubersizer at the time.

I'm sorry for this CRS episode.

Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

You think you had a moment? I would have sworn up and down (and there was swearing involved) that I had a set of .303 dies. It seems I don't. Midway to the rescue. And now for more waiting.

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”