Dipping Alox

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Dipping Alox

Post by Ranch Dog »

Casting 15K worth of bullets a year has caused me to refine my bullet lubing technique from those ideas offered in the Lee Lube and Size Kit instructions. My choice of lube remains liquid Alox; my bullets are designed for it, because I have not found a bullet lube that survives jacketed bullet velocities and pressures as well as it does. Allow me to describe my bullet lubing technique so you can see how it works for me!

Sizing
After casting, I snap the gas checks on and spray WD-40 across the bullets in prep to run them through the Lee sizer. The WD-40 will dissipate, I do not remove it.

Lubing
With all the bullets sized and gas checks seated, I then move to lubing. I keep my Alox in a small crock pot and use that pot to not only heat the lube but store it after use. I turn the pot on about 30 minutes before I start the lubing. The Alox is "cut" with odorless mineral spirits to achieve a consistency that will allow me to lube the bullet with one dip. I want it thick enough to drip of the bullet but not flow off the bullet. Normally, I dip and see no more than three drops fall off back into the pot. When it is like this it is perfect.

Image Image

Use the mineral spirits to cut the lube if it is too thick and let it "cook" a bit on high if it is too thin. I use a paint stick to stir the pot. Once dipped, the bullets are dipped in the Alox and set on cookie sheets to dry.

Notice that I'm using a small channellock plier, picking the bullets up in this manner might seem time consuming but it is extremely quick and I rarely drop a bullet. Bullets are placed on cookie sheet with only a small amount of liquid Alox collecting at the base.

Drying time, in my conditioned reloading room takes about 2 hours. Because of the mineral spirit vapor, I leave them on a bench in my garage to dry. The drying time varies with humidity, it can take from 4 hours to overnight.

With the bullets dry, I remove them from the cookie sheets with a paint scraper and run them back through the bullet sizing die. All dried Alox left on the tray is placed back into the pot. While sizing, excess lube flakes off the bullets into a bucket below the press and that material is returned to the crock pot as well.

Finally, if the bullets are going into storage for any length of time, I dust them with mica to prevent them from sticking together. Some casters use corn starch. Any lube that has dried on the cookie sheet is returned to the crock pot for the next use!

I have timed my bullet lubing sessions, keeping a record of all the steps involved in what has been outlined above, and less time per bullet is consumed dipping than that in using a traditional lubesizer. Needless to say, work in an area with plenty of ventilation. This is something that you would not want to do inside your home!

I buy my bulk lube from White Label Lube but you can check out this method on a much smaller scale to see if it suits you. Try using a small bowl, like the bowl that store bought Jello-O comes in. Fill it will heated alox, heating the Lee bottle in sink full of hot water. Using this method alone will minimize the volume of lube used and keep the nose of your bullets Alox free.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Dipping Alox

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I followed this for a long time after first finding these instructions. The only semi serious hang up I ever got was the bullets when lubed and run through the sizing die the second time would quickly create a mess of wiped off lube. I don’t feel like the amount of smoke when fired is much of a detriment but they do have enough lube on the bases to be a bit smoke filled when shooting. But dipping is still the only way I can use alox and not have gum in the seating dies. I’ve not tried this with WLL 45/45/10 and wonder if that would change anything for the better or worse…? I’ve also been curious about the same thing with their 50/50 lube.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:he only semi serious hang up I ever got was the bullets when lubed and run through the sizing die the second time would quickly create a mess of wiped off lube.
I will get some pictures of that particular operation and how I do it. It is all dropping in the a bucket hanging below my press. I brush off the base of the die every so often and keep going. If I notice any lube build up as evident on the ogive of the bullet, I swab the die with mineral spirits, and keep on going.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I used to just clean out the primer tray in my Rock chucker and let if fall into the dish. The post that pushes the bullets through is where I would get the worst build up. I never could find a way to quickly scrape it clean while in use. I could clean it when complete but to keep the process rolling along...

By the by, what bullet is that in the pics in the channel lock? At a glance I had previous thought it was the Lee TL358-158 SWC but now I'm not sure.
Last edited by Maximumbob54 on 19 Sep 2013 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Since I first read your dip lube method, I have stopped tumble lubing and dip every everything (except my pan lubed bullets). Thnx...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:The post that pushes the bullets through is where I would get the worst build up. I never could find a way to quickly scrape it clean while in use. I could clean it when complete but to keep the process rolling along...
My Alox is very dry when I work with it. It actually flakes off. If it sticks to the "puncher", it is I remove it with mineral spirits on a rag.
Maximumbob54 wrote:By the by, what bullet is that in the pics in the channel lock? At a glance I had previous thought it was the Lee TL358-158 SWC but now I'm not sure.
It is my TLC411-265-RF for the 41 Mag.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

That would be why I didn't recognize it. I'm still .41 magnumless... :(

I actually used to use needle nose pliers for dipping. I figured out how to hold them sort of chop sticks style and found that to work pretty fast. Laugh away if you must at the visual of this in action.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I figured out how to hold them sort of chop sticks style and found that to work pretty fast.
That is exactly how I use my little pliers.
Michael
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

This method might cause me to try it with my first go at lubing and sizing. Thanks!
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Which liquid lube do you use ? The regular or deluxe that is already thinned. I think the deluxe is 45-45-10?

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”