Dipping Alox

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
Rooster59
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Dipping Alox

Post by Rooster59 »

Planning on casting my first bullets with a buddy this Tuesday. I suppose we will let them season for 5 to 6 days before checking, lubing, and sizing. My buddy uses a RCBS luber/sizer and is interested in seeing this process in action.

I was wondering about what temperature the small crockpot keeps the lube and how much it takes for how many bullets. Reason for asking is my wife has one of those little potpourri crockpots she doesn't use anymore. It probably doesn't hold more than 10 or so ounces of water with the smelly stuff in it. I don't know how hot that thing gets though.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
graphic914
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by graphic914 »

I like Alox, but hate the extra smoke the make
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

graphic914 wrote:I like Alox, but hate the extra smoke the make
I think I'm addicted to the smell and smoke :!:
Michael
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

So my smokeless pole will become a smoke pole without the BP? :shock:
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:So my smokeless pole will become a smoke pole without the BP? :shock:
I shoot quite a bit and it doesn't bother me.
Michael
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Fine by me.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:Can you give me a feel for how much mineral spirits you had to your Alox for the "fondue" method you use? I'm giving it a shot with the first 4oz bottle I have before plunging into a quart jug of Xlox. Since I have such a small supply I thought you might give me some advice on what percentage is a good starting point.
Using Lee Liquid Alox straight from the bottle, probably very little to none added. Lee takes the straight Alox, the spec number of the Alox escapes me, and cuts it with mineral spirits to make their product. What I am looking for is a consistency that will run off but end in less than half a dozen drops. The Lee product might take two dips if it is too thin. If so, those two dips can be done one right after the other.

When working with the small amount available from a single bottle, I myself use it when I have a very small lot of bullets to work with, I heat the bottle in a sink of hot water and then use a small "Jello" bowl as a basin to contain the Alox. These little bowls from the refrigerated product are just the right size.
Michael
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Thanks RD. I read a lot last night about casters who use the JPW/Alox/mineral spirits in a 45/45/10 mix. Some cook down the JPW to remove the solvents then adding back the mineral spirits. Mentioned was adding the mineral spirits at what equates to 5% for each of the thicker ingredients.

With my 4oz bottle of LLA that means at most about 1/2oz of mineral spirits. Guess I better get my own set of measuring spoons. My wife could get a little upset if her cornbread smells like mineral spirits. :shock:
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

I was just sitting here pondering opening a cold brew or getting a cup of coffee when I noticed my coffee mug warmer pad. It gets pretty hot and my stainless steel camping coffee mug doesn't get much use anymore. I might just warm up the LLA and pour it in that mug with a dash of mineral spirits and see how that works. :idea:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:I was just sitting here pondering opening a cold brew or getting a cup of coffee when I noticed my coffee mug warmer pad. It gets pretty hot and my stainless steel camping coffee mug doesn't get much use anymore. I might just warm up the LLA and pour it in that mug with a dash of mineral spirits and see how that works. :idea:
Great idea if it isn't too deep.
Michael

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”