Powder coating bullets

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
moonie
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Powder coating bullets

Post by moonie »

Fyodor wrote:Do you use dry lubricant in your coating? Which one? I bought a can of mica, and wonder if that would work out. Here in Germany they're all about HBN (hexagonal boron nitride), which might be the best high temp dry lube, but it's also quite expensive. Graphite makes the color coating dull.
No lube is used in PC, nor is it needed from my research.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

How do you coat your bullets? You use powder coating, right? Isn't that difficult to use?

Anyone uses Epoxy paint, and can tell me if you need dry lube at all?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Fyodor wrote:How do you coat your bullets? You use powder coating, right? Isn't that difficult to use?

There are two huge threads on both Powder Coating and Epoxy Paint over on Cast Boolits.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... ternatives

You can spend months on that site and not read everything.
Je suis Charlie
Missionary
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Saw some where a feller was "painting" interesting little faces on big flat nose bullets.
I do enjoy the inventive nature of the American hobbist.
Mike in Peru
galaxieman
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by galaxieman »

I am on this powder coating bandwagon now. I do the dry method using airsoft bb's and no thinner. so far works well.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Fyodor wrote:How do you coat your bullets? You use powder coating, right? Isn't that difficult to use?

I think the guy that started the epoxy painted bullets craze was a German. I'm not sure though. He said he was using HBN powder mixed in his epoxy. Once people started trying it the big question became if the stuff is mixed in the paint then what good is it doing??? So a few people tried it without adding any and poof there was zero change. And HBN isn't so cheap so that just made it better. I did think I would try dusting the bullets with HBN and also tried some with powdered moly and another batch was done with graphite. I didn't shoot the graphite powdered bullets because it took massive force to get them through the sizing die. I was scared I was going to crack the press or my back. Scrapped those I moved to the other two batches. They sized well enough but the HBN didn't really stick that well. It sure got into EVERYTHING though. The moly made the usual black bullet. Both loaded and shot fine but the "control" group of just straight epoxy also shot just fine. So I figure no need for the extra work.

The key to the epoxy coating is to let the stuff cure. You may bake them to jump start the cure but they aren't done until they have at least set for a few days of air drying. I found if I just loaded them up the next day then the coating was still just a bit rubbery and could be scraped off sometimes with a finger nail. But once they cure for a few days you will rip off a nail trying to scratch at one.

I have to admit there is still a part of me that wants to buy a small cement mixer or rig a five gallon bucket up somehow to tumble bullets. I still think if you could rig up a heat gun pointing into the bucket as it's rolling that you could avoid having to bake them. The worst part of the process is trying to make sure you don't glue bullets together during the baking. So if you could find a way to tumble them and get them to cure enough... That would be neat. And you could make a whole bunch up in minimal time.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Has anyone tried PC without an air compressor? The "Electric Portable Powder Coating Gun System, No Air Compressor Needed" is for sale on Amazon for $50.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MW5 ... UTF8&psc=1

And there is a video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cuneFm-AG4
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've got to learn something about this. I have several tractor implements that I want to refinish and I would like to powder coat them. The plan is to haul them in to be sandblasted and then do the finishing myself. Anybody work with larger stuff?
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

The size of the part dictates how big the oven is. If the part isn't to big some have made ovens out of hot plates 8" vent pipe and insulation.

[youtube][/youtube]
Je suis Charlie
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I have found that without running current through your part to be painted that it's very hit or miss on coverage. Some powders won't stick at all and some really build up bad and run into puddles around the part. The HF matte black and gloss red are perfect examples of this. The matte black won't stick hardly at all without the current while the gloss red will build up very heavy. I used to use the matte black mixing it with lacquer thinner and then tumbling the bullets and that would make the powder when it was broken down stick to the bullets. The red mixed with lacquer thinner just made a huge mess. When you dry tumble the black won’t stick at all and yet the red will. Adding the Airsoft BB’s in with the bullets to help spread the powder works very well for the gloss red. It seems to prevent excess build up. And yet the black still won’t work. And go easy on the heat. I let the oven get a little hot and the gloss red burned some. They still worked but I’m not sure how burned they will get before the coating can fail.

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”