Pro 1000... Fair Wear & Tear?

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
nagantino
My Press Choice: Progressive

Pro 1000... Fair Wear & Tear?

Post by nagantino »

I've been rebuilding my reloading bench, might have said that before, I still haven't solved the shute to catch finished rounds......thanks to anyone who made suggestions. I noticed when I reset up the Lee Pro for .38/357 that priming problems were above the acceptable lever. Clusters of primers, missed primers and our old friend sideways primers. Eventually I decided something was really amiss so I disassembled the whole press and found that rhe carrier had developed some serious stress fractures, cracks.
You can see them in the photo. This press is my original one, about 14 years old, so I'm not really complaining. I have a box of bits from other Lee Pro machines, mostly donated by friends who had given up on reloading. Luckily I had an old carrier. It's all back together now and reloading nicely, with primers well seated. Have a look, it might explain how a press can develop failure slowly. Even cracked though I was still able to make rounds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Pro 1000... Fair Wear & Tear?

Post by Fyodor »

If you send a mail with this photo to Lee, you'll most probably get a new carrier shortly.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Holy smokes!
Michael
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

I think I just might contact Lee.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

nagantino wrote:I think I just might contact Lee.
I would.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

+corn please keep us posted to your outcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

Well, Lee sent me a replacement with no charge. It took about 9 days to arrive which is pretty good considering I'm in Ireland. No bother at all. I sent a photo of the cracked carrier and a photo of my reloading bench just to show I'm a Lee fan. The also gave me an explanation of how it might have happened. They think it was the decapping/sizing die set too low thus putting pressure on the carrier. I haven't been guilty of that in quiet awhile, maybe when I was first setting up years ago. Anyway, Lee stood by their customers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

nagantino wrote:Well, Lee sent me a replacement with no charge. It took about 9 days to arrive which is pretty good considering I'm in Ireland. No bother at all. I sent a photo of the cracked carrier and a photo of my reloading bench just to show I'm a Lee fan. The also gave me an explanation of how it might have happened. They think it was the decapping/sizing die set too low thus putting pressure on the carrier. I haven't been guilty of that in quiet awhile, maybe when I was first setting up years ago. Anyway, Lee stood by their customers.

Excellent!!! I have to admit I'm a bit surprised if you've had the press that long. Kudo's to Lee customer service. Glad you're back in business nagantino.....by the way if that's your last name doesn't sound to "Irish" to me. I'm a Mick not a Mac.... :D
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

I'm going to email my thanks to Lee. I got the name from my Mosin-Nagant rifle. Some movie we were watching about mafia dudes so I thought I would Italianize my sign in name. Silly, but I remember it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good service and advice! Thanks for the report!
Michael

Return to “Progressive”