5mm kidney stones, morphine/codeine & picking a caliber

Open forum for rifles.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

5mm kidney stones, morphine/codeine & picking a caliber

Post by DaveInGA »

Had the joy of spending yesterday evening in the ER of my favorite hospital yesterday. By the time they were done, I was informed I would be the father of a bouncing 5mm baby kidney stone. They inserted an IV & juiced me up with morphine to deal with the pain and once that took effect, off to the catscan I went. I found out that morphine works real well for pain in a square like me (I don't drink, smoke or do drugs.) and my wife tells me I'm quite entertaining. Doc shows up later on again and lets me know he's writing me for a pain drug, a nausea drug and for some kind of help you pass a stone/go pee medication. Knowing codeine was one of the few narcotics that doesn't make me sick to my stomach, I asked for that and he wrote, surprised I wasn't interested in the stronger stuff. Evidentally he wasn't used to dealing too much with squares like me. Even the codeine is almost too much, I'm pretty loopy.

I've been looking at various bolt actions and thinking about that centerfire .22 LR replacement I want. Of course, the medications are not helping at all, but they do make me chattier than I am normally, which is plenty chatty I think.

Ok, so back to the guns. I'm looking at a couple different guns:

1. A Savage Axis in .223 - Plastic stock - $279.99
2. A Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56 - plastic stock - $519.00
3. A Mossberg MVP Predator .223 - laminate stock - $500.00
4. A CZ 527 .22 Hornet - Walnut stock - $650.00
5. A Savage 25 Lightweight .22 Hornet - Laminate stock - $650.00

I really want a 16-18 inch barrel to reduce weight and because I don't need more at the ranges I'll be using the gun. I prefer wood, so no matter what I buy, I'll likely get a wood stock of some sort for it.

In calibers, I'm looking at these three:
1. .223 - I have a lot of milsurp brass, a metric ton
2. .221 Fireball - can use the milsurp brass to form .221 cases fairly easily.
3. .22 Hornet - I really want .22 K Hornet, but apparently no guns are sold in that caliber. Brass is available that can be formed, but the K Hornet has a better shape, brass lasts longer and has a bit better performance.

I've garnered just about enough information that with these pain meds in me, I can't make a decision. Do I fish or cut bait? The good news is I sold my 4 door gas hog pickup today, so funds are available to buy a rifle and accessories to reload for it. +guns
Last edited by DaveInGA on 20 Jan 2016 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 5mm kidney stones, morphine/codeine & picking a caliber

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dang, what a day!

Dude, from that list I would have to go with #4, the CZ 527 22 Hornet.
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Ranch Dog wrote:Dang, what a day!

Dude, from that list I would have to go with #4, the CZ 527 22 Hornet.
I have to admit, that's the one I'm leaning towards. I own a couple CZ's in 22LR and I'd like to own a couple centerfires. And there's something telling me that downloading a round for squirrels/rabbits is going to be easier with the smaller cartridge. But I don't have enough experience with those small rimfires to know what the facts are. If I get the CZ, I know I'm going to want to convert it to 22 K Hornet.

I don't know of many other options in the 22 Hornet as far as rifles go, however. And I'm also torn between cheap and nasty vs. expensive and pretty.

I'm going to have to add in the 218 Bee based on suggestions from the other post and reading. What aggravates me is there really are no well thought out designs for short range .22 caliber centerfire cartridges. Those focus has all been on longer ranges. Only the much older stuff appears in a small enough cartridge to really download effectively.

No one apparently has thought that someone might need to clean out the varmints in the back yard without disturbing/scaring the neighbors.

On the .22 Hornet converted to 22 k Hornet, what kind of brass life can be expected?
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

The pain of kidney stones will drop you to the ground when they move. The drugs don't work much for me. It takes high doses to get slight relief. I hope it passes soon.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

I like that Patrol model MVP, I'd have one if I wouldn't have found a good deal on my SPS Tactical.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

[quote="farmerjimThe drugs don't work much for me. It takes high doses to get slight relief. [/quote]

I'm in the same boat. Found out the hard during my vasectomy.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

My vote would be the 223/556 because you can find brass every where for free. Then add it's not that much bigger than the 22 Hornet and can shoot 40 to 70 grain bullets makes it a great replacement for the 22 LR.

Oh and you can shoot everything from mouse sneeze to full battle loads with the 556.
Je suis Charlie
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Ouch razz razzle mezelsmitch. Glad I'm not the one living that!
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

farmerjim wrote:The pain of kidney stones will drop you to the ground when they move. The drugs don't work much for me. It takes high doses to get slight relief. I hope it passes soon.
I was surprised when they didn't alleviate my pain last night. I got the joys of another trip to the ER where I found out the pain drugs the ER haven't working muchet allviate today as well. I did finda combination that will work though: 1 tablet of tylenol3/codeine and 1 tablet of tylenol/hydrocodone.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

357cyrus wrote:I like that Patrol model MVP, I'd have one if I wouldn't have found a good deal on my SPS Tactical.
I really liked the looks of it as well, but I've done some digging over on over and apparently that device that allows the bolt to pick up cartridges off an AR15 magazine is a hindrance with smooth bolt handling and operation. For a bolt mag, I really believe a stripper clip guide aka 1903/A4, M14 is the better option for reloading.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”