Load Master parts

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Load Master parts

Post by horseman »

I need to add to the ram issue...the "teeth" on the ends are in pretty bad shape (it was that way when I got it used) and getting the adjustment correct on the press is almost an effort in futility. Also the "chrome" covering on the ram is getting pretty spotty in parts (worn), so it would appear that this press has seen plenty of action. ANNNND, the ridge on the frame the indexer rides on is a bit chewed as well. So what the heck, about 100 bucks and I have virtually a new press. That's okay with me. Dave, thanks for your how to info. I've had these (and others) apart before and while I'm not saying that I may not have caused an alignment issue (that does seem what is happening and I'll be careful putting the new stuff back together) I did R&R the whole thing several times and just finally decided starting with new stuff is just a better option and I hope a better ending. Thanks all for your responses. I'll let you know how it goes.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by DaveInGA »

Ah, so it's just plain ole wore out. How tricksy for somebody to sell it after they got all the goody out. I wonder if one takes care of one of these presses if it will wear out like that. :?
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

DaveInGA wrote:Ah, so it's just plain ole wore out. I wonder if one takes care of one of these presses if it will wear out like that. :?
The answer is "no", with proper care it will keep going like the Energizer Bunny. My old one has had approximately 2K of 30-06, 9K of 223, 50K of 40 S&W, 5K of 380 Auto. Ram and handle not loose.
Wore out a couple carriers and powder measures. Pall and indexer wear out too. Rifle cases get FL sized on a single stage.

I always have a very light film of synthetic oil on the ram, and I grease the pins every couple thousand rounds.

A used one I bought that I just use for decapping now is loose. Had minor loading problems, looked it over good and found the looseness of it so I swapped duties of the used press with my old one that had loaded what I listed above.

My old one that is now setup in the computer room for all the loading is truly a gem.

I prime off press, so I can't offer an opinion of the latest priming hardware for the Loadmaster.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

DaveInGA wrote:Ah, so it's just plain ole wore out. How tricksy for somebody to sell it after they got all the goody out. I wonder if one takes care of one of these presses if it will wear out like that. :?

Man, I think a person would have to load a LOT of ammo to actually wear one out if it's maintained even a bit. Funny though, even with the ram looking the way it does the press itself is still very tight. There's no wiggle/wobble in the handle and no discernable movement to the ram/frame connection either. Perhaps the original owner(s) of mine lived or kept the press in a dusty environment or just didn't maintain it well. Who knows. But I sure wouldn't worry about wearing one out under "normal" use. How many used presses and/or other equipment have you fella's seen for sale on e-bay (for instance) that looked like they were stored out in a woodshed in a bucket of water....it amazes me sometimes to see an expensive, high quality reloading press that has just been trashed. Makes me wonder what the rest of (their) stuff must look like. Some just don't take care of anything.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

There are just folks like that. I have a stepson that would buy a brand new set of tools to work on his car, then leave them scattered in the yard for the rain to get on them. He could have just wiped them down with an oily wrag, put them up in the tool box they came in for next time and still had them when he was old. But no, he takes care of nothing. Of course, at this point in his life, he pretty much has nothing and he's right at 30 years of age.

Some folks just lack common sense.

I think that press of yours was used hard, then put put up wet and seldom if ever actually lubed. When it finally locked up, the owner decided to get rid of it rather than clean it. I sure as heck would hate to shoot any of his ammo, even if it was in his guns.....
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Fyodor wrote:The ram on the LoadMaster is quite massive. I don't think you could "expand" it at all, at least manually.
The ram is actually quite thin and fragil.
Really? I thought this was a massive part. Is it hollowed out? Cast or drilled? Just curious, because I thought LEE would go the easy way, and just cut off a piece of a steel rod.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

The ram is basically a piece of thin wall polished tubing, it has serrations on the ends to grip the carrier and opposite end. The hollow inside is where the spent primers go. It has adequate strength for it's intended purpose.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Now I have to wonder how thick the walls really are??? 1/8, 3/16?
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Now I have to wonder how thick the walls really are??? 1/8, 3/16?
Never thought to measure them. Will next time mine is apart.
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

In the bottom of an old carrier I measured the marks left from the serrations on the ram . Close as I could tell with calipers the ram wall is .090 inch thick walls. It would take Supper Man to crush a cylinder like that from end to end.

Return to “Progressive”