Load Master parts

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Load Master parts

Post by horseman »

Called Lee Precision today wanting to buy a new ram for my LM. I had the ram out yesterday doing some cleaning and when I put everything back together it was very stiff in operation. Took the ram off again and just ran it through the frame by itself trying to see if orientation would make a difference. Nope. So thinking I may have somehow "expanded" the ram when I tightened the carrier and base piece (I have since figured out that isn't the best way to re-install the ram) so thought I would pick up a new one. Nope, Ain't happening....to get a new ram you also have to purchase a new frame... :shock: .....what's up with that?????? My instruction manual that came with the press shows it (LM3237) for 10 bucks (at that time)....I'm a bit miffed. I may just get tired of foolin' around with these things again and move on. I see where Amazon has the RCBS Pro 2000 on sale right now and with the "rebate" from RCBS it rolls in at just a bit over 400.00 and I still have all my old shellplates from my Ammomasters.......hmmmmm. :idea:
tpatterson950
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Load Master parts

Post by tpatterson950 »

horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

And what am I supposed to be looking at ............
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Horseman wrote:

And what am I supposed to be looking at ............
That was my question too.
Je suis Charlie
tpatterson950

Post by tpatterson950 »

that is lee's website it should show the ram/yoke/ect that they have for the load master.
tpatterson950

Post by tpatterson950 »

Sorry for the confusion. There was another post I tried to make, but the network here at work sucks: ( . the website does not show a "ram" but they have all the parts that go into it.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

The ram on the LoadMaster is quite massive. I don't think you could "expand" it at all, at least manually.

Have you checked the bore in the base? Maybe flushing with WD40 and moving the ram a couple times would help?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

I think it may be an assembly step problem. When I took mine apart and put it back together, I first removed the linkage from the handle, then removed the handle from the ram, then removed the draw bolt, yoke and carrier off the ram, then removed the ram from the press.

To re-install, I followed this process:
1. Installed ram in press body.
2. Added carrier to top and put yoke on bottom of ram.
3. Installed draw bolt into yoke and screwed drawbolt into carrier, did a rough alignment and tightened down a bit.
4. Attached handle to ram and moved handle to vertical position.
5. Attached linkages to press, then used punches to align linkage and handle holes, tapped in bottom linkage axle.
6. Attached bolts to linkage axles and did initial tightening.
7. Checked/corrected alignment of ram, then tightened draw bolt.
8. Checked handle/linkage/ram operation and finished tightening all linkage nuts.
9. Double checked alignment visually and function/operation.

I think there's enough slop in the mechanism it would not be hard if one of the steps is enough out of order or if you missed a detail, the entire linkage setup or the carrier could be out of alignment.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

tpatterson950 wrote:Sorry for the confusion. There was another post I tried to make, but the network here at work sucks: ( . the website does not show a "ram" but they have all the parts that go into it.
I thank you for the good try though. Lee says that a new frame with ram is 55 bucks plus shipping. ANNND, considering I was going to pickup a new carrier for Mike to do his "magic" with, (that's what started this chicken rodeo) plus a couple other small items for spare parts, figure I may as well spring for it. Da@$ thing will be just about new when I'm done with it. Actually will be except for the handle and cross pins.....jeeezzzz. By the time I get through with these two presses I'll have enough money in them I'm gonna be within spittin' distance of a Dillon 1050... :lol: ....I guess it ain't about the money though, in my younger years I dropped more than that on the floor between the bar and mens room...and I've spent a lot more over the years on other less "entertaining" items.... :mrgreen: Besides, buy high, sell low is as good a motto as any.... +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:The ram on the LoadMaster is quite massive. I don't think you could "expand" it at all, at least manually.
The ram is actually quite thin and fragil. Having had the ram assembly apart on my presses, I feel it is thin enough that it would be very easy to damage. For instance the first time I handled a ram after removing it, I put a pillow under the press. I knew if it fell on my tile floor it would be damaged beyond repair. I treat the cylinder as if it were glass.
Michael

Return to “Progressive”