Total Defense With Hi-Point 45 Auto Carbines & Pistols

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Total Defense With Hi-Point 45 Auto Carbines & Pistols

Post by Ranch Dog »

Accurate has a 45-230FT, which is a 230-grain flat nose, tumble lube bullet. It does have a bore rider nose so sizing would only affect the bullet body which is very good. The nose diameter isn't noted but it looks like it is reduced enough that any reasonable amount of sizing will not influence it. It will run about $150 for a 5 cavity.
Accurate_45-230FT.jpg
If I was getting into a semi-custom mold, this is probably the one I would go with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

RD,

I know you know what you're looking at and getting it right the shortest, simplest and cheapest route is the way I want to go. I'm going to try the Lee 2 cavity and see how that does. I really like the last bullet you posted from Accurate. It can be lubed just about any way one wants with good effect, making it very flexible and allowing me to use the lube method I have the most of on hand while trying out the other methods.

If the Lee doesn't get the job done, I think I'll try the Accurate mold. Shame Lee doesn't pick up on and make some of these improved designs.

Thank you for your help,

Dave
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I use the Lee 452-200-RF in my Hi Point but not with +P loads, 3.5 grains of bullseye for some fun plinking. Works good out to 50 yards. Hit those ornage clays with this load at 50 yards too.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DaveInGA wrote:Shame Lee doesn't pick up on and make some of these improved designs.
It sure is. I think the Lee line up is extremely dated. Honestly, I don't shoot a single design of theirs despite shooting thousands of bullets every year.
62chevy wrote:I use the Lee 452-200-RF in my Hi Point but not with +P loads, 3.5 grains of bullseye for some fun plinking. Works good out to 50 yards. Hit those ornage clays with this load at 50 yards too.
Awesome, thanks for the report! There you go Dave!
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Ranch Dog wrote:
62chevy wrote:I use the Lee 452-200-RF in my Hi Point but not with +P loads, 3.5 grains of bullseye for some fun plinking. Works good out to 50 yards. Hit those ornage clays with this load at 50 yards too.
I ordered one today with a boresight set up. Decided I'd go for broke and get the 6 ganger. :shock:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DaveInGA wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:
I ordered one today with a boresight set up. Decided I'd go for broke and get the 6 ganger. :shock:
Did you get the .452" Lube & Size Kit?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:You mind if I change the title of this topic to reflect the subject matter a little better, I thought you were developing a new cartridge!
Finally got to this, hope this better describes the effort.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

When I used 45/45/10 they got shot as cast but powder coating I now size to .452. Either way they shoot great out of a Hi-Point. I would suggest slugging your bore as mine ran big in the grove size of .4535 and even running then fat some leading happened. Hence why I powder coat.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:When I used 45/45/10 they got shot as cast but powder coating I now size to .452. Either way they shoot great out of a Hi-Point. I would suggest slugging your bore as mine ran big in the grove size of .4535 and even running then fat some leading happened. Hence why I powder coat.
This is why I suggested slugging before going any further. Many semi-auto handguns nowadays are fat in groove. I think it might be used as a method dumping chamber pressure especially with polymer pistols.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
62chevy wrote:When I used 45/45/10 they got shot as cast but powder coating I now size to .452. Either way they shoot great out of a Hi-Point. I would suggest slugging your bore as mine ran big in the grove size of .4535 and even running then fat some leading happened. Hence why I powder coat.
This is why I suggested slugging before going any further. Many semi-auto handguns nowadays are fat in groove. I think it might be used as a method dumping chamber pressure especially with polymer pistols.
Never thought of them dumping pressure but makes sense and one way for a cheap gun to claim +P.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”