Picked up four truck/car guns for serious business.

Open forum for rifles.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Picked up four truck/car guns for serious business.

Post by DaveInGA »

Needed something cheap, reliable so that if/when something bad happens and I'm away from the house and need some firepower,the Mrs. and I will have it. Something that if gunfire were involved, I could throw away and not feel a bit upset, as it had did it's job. Did some significant online research and decided a pistol carbine with a matching pistol would probably do the job. Something the magazines would fit in both guns. But it had to be a throw away that would shoot when the trigger was pulled.

Did some further research and decided I would go with two Hi-Point carbines and 2 Hi-Point pistols would do the job. Yes, they're very cheap, yes, they're ugly. But every where I've researched them, they're accurate to suprising distances (carbine over 100 yards even) and reliable, as in hundreds/thousands of rounds shot. Warranty was lifetime and transferable to new owner. If it breaks, they fix it is what Hi-Power owners are saying. All you have to do is send it in, but they will also send parts if you're able and want to fix your own. If you send it in, however, they return it to you with a brand new magazine, which pretty much offsets the cost of your shipping. A better warranty than even Dillon provides I think. I was surprised.

So I picked up two of those HI-Point .45ACP carbines and two of the Hi-point full size .45ACP pistols. They're going to be car/truck guns, stored in blend-in color cheap bags and with lots of mags/ammo in the carry bag with them, ready to go.

Now I just have to tune them (I do that for all my guns), find a suitable red dot and develop a lead slug load for them. They're +P rated, so I'm going to be loading to that level.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Picked up four truck/car guns for serious business.

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would say that would do it. You going to cast for them?
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Ranch Dog wrote:I would say that would do it. You going to cast for them?
Absolutely. After years and years of shooting my reloadings and seeing the effect of cast on game animals, I'm convinced it's the better way to go. I picked the .45ACP over the 9MM or 40 S&W for that very reason. The low pressure cartridge is easy on lead and I'm reasonably sure the combination will be effective.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Hi points are accurate and reliable and best customer service I've ever had to deal with and it was my fault on breaking my 995 stock. I think you'll be happy as they fit the need perfectly.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

akuser47 wrote:Hi points are accurate and reliable and best customer service I've ever had to deal with and it was my fault on breaking my 995 stock. I think you'll be happy as they fit the need perfectly.
What impressed me wasn't the positive reviews. What impressed me was the complaints about worn out/broken parts in guns with not hundreds, but literally thousands and thousands of rounds. A lot of them had round counts up in the 4000 to 7000 range. The individual complaining had shot the gun without cleaning/proper lube and it finally quit shooting. The guns were filthy, improperly lubed many times and they'd still managed to put out round counts like that.

The damaged parts? Things I learned as an armorer in the service that just plain wear out over time - firing pins, springs, pins, etc for the most part. One guy showed pictures of a gun where the bolt and "slide" areas of his gun had lots and lots of metal burrs and splits. He used a file/stone/sandpaper, got the burrs and splits out of there, replaced the worn out parts/springs, lubed the gun, reassembled and went back to shooting it for another several thousand rounds.

If the guy's gun had been an M16 in military service,it would have been going back to Depot Maintenance for a complete teardown and rebuild. How it kept shooting was beyond me and I would loved to have taken a bore gauge to check his barrel wear - he'd complained about the groups opening up since it was new :roll: . Makes me wonder what their guns would be like if they'd used premium materials building them. Darn good designs, for sure.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

Truck guns are good if you don't loose them. But a pistol on your person is hard to beat.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Steve wrote:Truck guns are good if you don't loose them. But a pistol on your person is hard to beat.
True and I already have one of them I keep on my person for personal protection. But with all going on in the world, I felt a need for some extra firepower and the best reload is another gun (or two). ;)
Steve

Post by Steve »

DaveInGA wrote:
Steve wrote:Truck guns are good if you don't loose them. But a pistol on your person is hard to beat.
True and I already have one of them I keep on my person for personal protection. But with all going on in the world, I felt a need for some extra firepower and the best reload is another gun (or two). ;)
Good job Dave. I'm glad you carry. More people should stay armed.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

I agree, that terrorist stuff wouldn't fly in any of the local area I live in. If they dressed up in black and walked into a building where they didn't look like they belonged carrying weapons, somebody would shoot them.:)

If I had it my way, the entire country would be like Marietta, GA is and require folks to own a firearm. That county has by far the lowest crime rate in the country, practically zero.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Hi Point is a good choice for a truck gun just don't over use the +P rounds.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Discussions”