243 truck gun

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

243 truck gun

Post by Steve »

Broke out my old Savage 243 to use for a truck gun this winter. Hoping to get a few shots at some coyotes, but will probably just shoot at clay bird pieces laying out on the trap range.

Got about 50 Nosler 95gr ballistic tips loaded. When I get them shot up I have about 600 Hornady 75 grain varmint bullets that really shoot well in this rifle. When I make the change I have it recorded on the target, to change to the 75gr scope get 4 clicks down and 1 left. Sooooooooooooo, I am pretty well set for 243 for the winter.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 243 truck gun

Post by akuser47 »

Be sure to recheck the zero. I agree heavier better in 243 Keep us posted to any claimed prey. I say recheck zeros from experience as I have my long distance plan recorded for 158 grain 168 grain and 175 grain loads in .308. No matter how much I work on the loads when I switch between them there is always some odd occurrence that causes fluctuations in my preset zeros for the load. Now this is only small offsets Not large but it all adds up at long distance. Within 300 yards it negligible past that it is more obvious. I know 2 different situations just saying verify before assuming once you switch back to the heavies as it can be different than last recorded. Also keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:Be sure to recheck the zero. I agree heavier better in 243 Keep us posted to any claimed prey. I say recheck zeros from experience as I have my long distance plan recorded for 158 grain 168 grain and 175 grain loads in .308. No matter how much I work on the loads when I switch between them there is always some odd occurrence that causes fluctuations in my preset zeros for the load. Now this is only small offsets Not large but it all adds up at long distance. Within 300 yards it negligible past that it is more obvious. I know 2 different situations just saying verify before assuming once you switch back to the heavies as it can be different than last recorded. Also keep us posted +corn
Thanks akuser47 I agree with all you say . I wasted a lot of ammo, and missed some game in the past learning what you have stated. Wish somebody would have convinced me of this 15 years ago.

It seems like going down the road to find the best load usually results in just having a different rifle for each use instead of different ammo for one rifle. But this results in a more interesting to look at gun cabinet.

I enjoy just seeing my rifles and have refused to let scum bag thieves make me put them in a safe. I won't let them take the pleasure of seeing my rifles away from me. I do have steel cable locks that are anchored to the foundation securing the weapons in the cabinet. For the most part the thieves in our area a stupid bunch, but they do realize that they are part of the reason they see me carrying a pistol everywhere I go. I think they are afraid at my age I will just shoot them, they are right.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Yea I agree I had thought the same with my .308 rounds, I mean they are good enough for combat accuracy but if your aiming for pop can size targets at long range it gets sporty to hit. Its still nice to have the load card values on my stock pack. Give me a decent starting point for related weights. Gets it on target faster. I think your right its hard to have 1 rig do multiple things.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Rifle Reloading”