Permit renewal in Iowa

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Permit renewal in Iowa

Post by akuser47 »

buckeye43210 wrote:
akuser47 wrote:I'm dew for renewal next year in june and was reading up on requirements. No requalifying or range competency. I'm kinda shocked its my 4th renewal and I guess I just bring in my current non revoked ccw license and a new passport photo and get fingerprinted pay 50 bucks. Anyone with more than 3 renewals in ohio can verify?
I've only renewed once here in Ohio and don't remember giving them a new passport photo. Might be better to search the Ohioans For Concealed Carry Forums.
That's where my info came from that forum is how I meet my first instructor chris harben.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
r1200r
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by r1200r »

Permits are no longer required here in Maine, but there are some restrictions. I couldn't tell you exactly what they are as I do not carry. I agree and believe as a gun owner we have a personal responsibility to learn how to use our weapons correctly. This fact was drilled into me from a very young age, I was very fortunate to have the guidance that I did. As I out grew and shooting rats and bottles at the dump with my Grandfather, I was enrolled in the "junior NRA" shooting program at our local gun club. Here members of law enforcement would volunteer their time to instruct us in proper shooting, mostly .22lr at NRA match targets to NRA qualification rules. In the summer we would move outdoors shooting skeet and the officers service revolvers. It was a great time for a young man. After I grew up, I moved and gave up firearms for years traveling construction, I didn't want the responsibility of securing my weapons. I've since gotten back into the sport, after 35 years and have been amazed at how long its taken me to get back my aim. Of course back then I didn't need trifocals.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

r1200r wrote:Permits are no longer required here in Maine, but there are some restrictions.
The only problem I see at this point with "Constitutional Carry" is going to states that require permits. Using Iowa for example: We honor all States permits to carry. So if a Maine resident that carries in their state legally without a permit comes to Iowa I don't think they could legally carry because they do not have a permit to produce on demand. I encourage people that live in Constitutional Carry to still get a permit to carry if possible.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
r1200r wrote:Permits are no longer required here in Maine, but there are some restrictions.
The only problem I see at this point with "Constitutional Carry" is going to states that require permits. Using Iowa for example: We honor all States permits to carry. So if a Maine resident that carries in their state legally without a permit comes to Iowa I don't think they could legally carry because they do not have a permit to produce on demand. I encourage people that live in Constitutional Carry to still get a permit to carry if possible.
When it passed both houses here in West Virginia it was said you would still need a license for other States. But our Governor, a D, took money from Bloomberg and vetoed constitutional carry. Hopefully we can end his 40 year reign of terror.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:When it passed both houses here in West Virginia it was said you would still need a license for other States. But our Governor, a D, took money from Bloomberg and vetoed constitutional carry. Hopefully we can end his 40 year reign of terror.
Hope you get the job done. Bloomberg is a idiot, he makes me think of a little dictator.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

99% of my shooting is on my private range so when I get around others it is frightening. I mentioned this in describing my MN class, there were people fumbling with their firearms, literally fumbling them to the point of dropping them.

I am a Front Sight guy and that is a different story. These are serious shooters that deliver bullets on target under any circumstances & situations.

You're a better fellow than I. I could have not handled them laughing about their own incompetency. I would have sent them packing.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:You're a better fellow than I. I could have not handled them laughing about their own incompetency. I would have sent them packing.
+1 Same here RD.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:You're a better fellow than I. I could have not handled them laughing about their own incompetency. I would have sent them packing.
+1 Same here RD.
Feel like I have to try to help.

One fellow last year in one of my carry classes didn't try hiding how uninterested he was in class. So at the end of the day I told him to keep his money, he learned nothing and I would not put my name down for teaching him. Made me feel good that in the end I wasted his day for bothering me when I was trying to help the others.
f100cleveland
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by f100cleveland »

When I took my permit to carry class the range part was rediculous. It was so cold out at the range that the 22 cal semi- autos they were using wouldn't cycle or fire at times. Standing there waiting your turn as people that hadn't ever had a gun in there hand waved one around trying to clear their weapon to get another shot in. We were to fire 20 rounds at a target 25ft away. The instructors didn't even go look to see if you hit the target. There is no real guideline for the instructor on how to present his class so its hit or miss if you get a instructor that is going to help out first timers. I have heard of other classes near here learned more on the laws and had to qualify with shots that hit the targets. I don't think very many people that were in my class have even fired a gun since. I'm going to check around for a better coarse when my next renewal comes up.
Steve

Post by Steve »

f100cleveland wrote:When I took my permit to carry class the range part was rediculous. It was so cold out at the range that the 22 cal semi- autos they were using wouldn't cycle or fire at times. Standing there waiting your turn as people that hadn't ever had a gun in there hand waved one around trying to clear their weapon to get another shot in. We were to fire 20 rounds at a target 25ft away. The instructors didn't even go look to see if you hit the target. There is no real guideline for the instructor on how to present his class so its hit or miss if you get a instructor that is going to help out first timers. I have heard of other classes near here learned more on the laws and had to qualify with shots that hit the targets. I don't think very many people that were in my class have even fired a gun since. I'm going to check around for a better coarse when my next renewal comes up.
Glad you feel like you should learn something f100. Wish more people did. My class room is based on Utah CCW required course curriculum, but with Iowa law. The range time I give them is to help with their safe and accurate gun handling. I stress to them that the precise shooting I am helping them with is only good for shooting a duel, which probably is not going to happen but they have to learn to walk before they can run.

I make them understand they need to practice. I always demonstrate fast combat style shooting the best I can. It really impresses on some of them what they need to learn, but unfortunately few take the time.

My classes now are for individual one on one training, or 2 people. I sure don't make much at it but I enjoy teaching people that want to learn. And I get paid a little to play with guns, which ain't all that bad.

When I was busy I kept class size to 6 people and always had one assistant at the range. Some took it serious but few returned to the range for practice later on. A few of the women were so good looking I felt like I should be paying them to spend the day with me. But I took their money anyway.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”