Permit renewal in Iowa

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Permit renewal in Iowa

Post by Steve »

One of the methods to renew weapons permits in Iowa is to produce a document that you qualified on the range with an instructor. The state doesn’t even spec what those qualification requirements should be. ????! So I just look for safe gun handling and a reasonable amount of hits at 7 yards…… That’s right, 7 Yards. I have seen many misses lately. One of them told me they had not fired their pistol since they took my class five years ago! I don’t get it, why don’t they want to practice and learn defensive shooting? All I can do is work with them until they realize they need a lot of practice, have minimum 75% hits, and don’t point their weapon at me.

I’m not kidding you, today I had people shooting a man sized steel silhouette at 12 yards. A fellow with a very nice 1911 only hit 2 times with the first magazine and 4 with the second magazine. (We all know how easy it is to shoot a 1911 style 45) He and his friend thought it was funny. (his friend shot just as bad). I worked with them and got them hitting consistently but they probably won’t shoot again all winter. They both admitted they need practice but I’m betting they won’t.

Lately I have helped a few others on the range, It is unbelievable haw bad some of them shoot. But at least they are showing up on the range “qualify” Many people choose the option to set through a couple hour refresher course instead of shooting.

I believe in the second amendment, but I also think people should know what they are doing when they are throwing hot lead around me or my family.
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Permit renewal in Iowa

Post by buckeye43210 »

Sadly, police hit rates in actual gun fights aren't much better according to recent FBI reports.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

buckeye43210 wrote:Sadly, police hit rates in actual gun fights aren't much better according to recent FBI reports.
I don't get it either, guessing that Cops think or hope they never have to use their weapons.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:
buckeye43210 wrote:Sadly, police hit rates in actual gun fights aren't much better according to recent FBI reports.
I don't get it either, guessing that Cops think or hope they never have to use their weapons.
A trusted friend at the range told me he knew some officers that used to sell the ammo they were given to practice with. I believe him. Our County Officers now are a good batch of guys and gals, Some combat veterans most of them can shoot pretty darn good. The ammo selling thing does not happen with them.

One of our Officers had to plug a guy through the windshield of the bad guys car a few months ago, it was determined to be justified do to the fact he was trying to run over another officer.

The idiot was out on bail a few days later (got hit in the shoulder) On the news with his arm in a sling saying he thought they should have only shot out a tire or something. I think it's to bad the shot wasn't fatal, he is a real dirt bag.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

When they captured the terrorists in France, one escaped, one blew herself up with a bomb belt, and one was shot. Police fired 5000 rounds. Right, five THOUSAND rounds, to kill ONE terrorsit.

But they are allowed to carry their guns around all day, and I need to transport my guns in locked cases.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I'm dew for renewal next year in june and was reading up on requirements. No requalifying or range competency. I'm kinda shocked its my 4th renewal and I guess I just bring in my current non revoked ccw license and a new passport photo and get fingerprinted pay 50 bucks. Anyone with more than 3 renewals in ohio can verify?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Fyodor wrote:
When they captured the terrorists in France, one escaped, one blew herself up with a bomb belt, and one was shot. Police fired 5000 rounds. Right, five THOUSAND rounds, to kill ONE terrorsit.

But they are allowed to carry their guns around all day, and I need to transport my guns in locked cases.
I see your point but needing to lock your gun up during transport is a trust thing. It's not that they care you will shoot some innocent party but that you might come and shoot them.
Je suis Charlie
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

akuser47 wrote:I'm dew for renewal next year in june and was reading up on requirements. No requalifying or range competency. I'm kinda shocked its my 4th renewal and I guess I just bring in my current non revoked ccw license and a new passport photo and get fingerprinted pay 50 bucks. Anyone with more than 3 renewals in ohio can verify?
I've only renewed once here in Ohio and don't remember giving them a new passport photo. Might be better to search the Ohioans For Concealed Carry Forums.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I know I don't do anywhere near enough trigger time dry fire or otherwise. Fact is I'm probably going to be the 1st 1 to hit the floor but maybe the Alvin York /Audy Murphy /Rambo routine will confuse them long enough for a few well placed shots .......
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve

Post by Steve »

In the early 1980s not much of the US issued "Non Professional" permits to carry weapons. Our county in Iowa, and 5 other counties had what was called "Unified Law Enforcement Organization". In that organization member cities contributed funds to hire more County Officers. Each city appointed a Commissioner to represent them in the United Law Enforcement and to conduct the business with the County Sheriff.

I was the appointed Commissioner for my city. While target shooting at the edge of town (outside the city limits) with my Dan Wesson 357 I heard over a load speaker “put down the weapon and step back from it” I did and a new deputy we had came over and started questioning me like a criminal, then took my pistol back to the car to have the S/N checked.

He finally brought my pistol back with a totally different attitude. They told him on the radio that he worked for me. It was funny. But he apologized for the delay and I went back to shooting. I later supported him for Sheriff and he retired from the job just a few years ago.

After this I got to thinking I better get a permit to carry incase I get checked in some other county. The next time I was talking with the Sheriff I told him I wanted a permit to carry. He got the paperwork for me then had the dispatcher type it up for me. Permits were good for one year at that time, the state was may issue on the Sheriffs discretion. I was fortunate to have a permit at that time, I have had one every since. I was told that in the US in 1980 there was only about 10% of the country that issued permits to the public. On January 1, 2011 Iowa became a shall issue state.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”