Admitting that I cannot make my Load Master work

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Admitting that I cannot make my Load Master work

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've thrown in the towel so to speak, too much time spent trying to make it work as it should. Living the ranch life, I consider myself a master tinkerer but it just haven't happened where the Load Master is considered. In one case, there has been 15 years worth of trying.

I'm going to make something happen as I'm tired of all the tweaks constantly taking up my time, time that should be spent reloading ammo. First, I'm sending the required components into Mike's Reloading for his Custom Primer System modifications. Next I bought his Turret Stabilizer & Custom Billet Turret.

I also think that something needs to stabilize the press from flexing, it does flex, and have looked at Mike's addition but have been considering The Flex Stop sold by pres2361 on ebay a better solution.
flexstop.jpg
It's time to do something, make them work or get rid of them, as another handgun reloading season is soon to be upon me. I do hate dropping $165 in each press, I will start with one, but all the hundreds of self tweaks just have not made a dependable difference. I still cannot walk up to the machine and expect no issues or wasted components.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Admitting that I cannot make my Load Master work

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm speaking of my own errors in the past but don't spend so much on them that you could have just parted with them and bought a different unit. Unless of course you like them enough and then it doesn't matter.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I'm speaking of my own errors in the past but don't spend so much on them that you could have just parted with them and bought a different unit. Unless of course you like them enough and then it doesn't matter.
I hear you Max but I think it will be worth the look see at least on one of my presses. I just want to be able to walk up to it and get busy. If it works, I understand what it will take to bring the others up to speed.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What I'm thinking of is that if these parts work out, getting rid of one press and running two of them. One press will be for small primer cartridges and the other large. Of course, I could keep the 3rd press specifically for the 7.62x39.

I put a pencil to it and all this stuff along with the purchase of the press puts the total at $453.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:I put a pencil to it and all this stuff along with the purchase of the press puts the total at $453.
Ouch but I'm sure it will work first time every time for you. Like you said before it sad you have to double the cost of the press.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I put a pencil to it and all this stuff along with the purchase of the press puts the total at $453.
Ouch but I'm sure it will work first time every time for you. Like you said before it sad you have to double the cost of the press.
Yeah, I really didn't want to spend anymore on the press but it needs to get up and running or out. I just bought a Marlin 444P and wanted to put the XS Scout System with a Weaver K4 Classic Scout but that will need to wait now.

The LM is important, the Mike's Reloading items will be here Monday. I even bought his Load Master Survival Manual and will follow his suggestions and instructions to the letter. The FlexStop will be here Thursday and by then the parts I sent to Mike should be on their way back.
Michael
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

While I wont invest in any of Mikes work, I would be very keen to hear the results that you achieve.
Deleted User 1445

Post by Deleted User 1445 »

May I humbly offer a different perspective? The first thing I would do is get rid of all the custom parts. My Loadmaster is new, and I just finished setting it up -- with NO custom parts. It works fine! I would recommend calling Lee to get the latest-configuration parts for your press -- they send the parts for free, you just pay shipping, Also, going back to basics, I followed along with a couple of YT videos, and followed, them step-by-step. I think this guy knows the Lee Progressive Press quite well. There are two videos, have a look:
Part 1:
Part 2:

Wow, you seem to have spent a lot of money/time/effort on mounting your press with more custom parts. Mine is set up on a folding table and works fine! I mounted my press to (2) 12"x24" pressed wood shelves -- from Menards. I cut in a bit for the ram on the short end to get the mounting screws away from the edge and used those blind wood-grabbing nuts with the bolts cut to length. Some clamps on each end of the table, and added brackets upside-down attached to my shelving unit above plus a bag of shot on the far end both so the press won't tip; done.
5akman

Post by 5akman »

I never even tried priming on my LM when i purchased it due to all the issues I had read about. I deprime on my Classic Turret, use a RCBS hand primer to prime and then the LM is an ammo producing machine. Since I use a RCBS powder cop/lock out die and Hornady bullet feed adapter, I needed the spot in the die head regardless. Might give it some consideration.
Value Turret, Loadmaster, CH single stage, Mec 600jr
Deleted User 1445

Post by Deleted User 1445 »

5akman wrote:I never even tried priming on my LM when i purchased it due to all the issues I had read about.
Priming on a LM is very reliable -- I've done about 300 rounds so far. Not one priming problem -- providing that the brass was de-primed completely first and primers were still in the primer tray. Those stories you read will never go away -- but your old, ineffective priming parts can & will! What I discovered is that Lee is solving problems and making improvements all the time. If you call them, they will send you new priming parts for free -- you just pay shipping. I had read all sorts of videos where you had to take your priming system apart and file away rough edges and flash -- NOT true anymore.

Return to “Progressive”