Has Your Hornady Bullet Been Dropped?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Has Your Hornady Bullet Been Dropped?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Announced on July 2, 2013, Hornady is dropping approximately 150 bullet designs. Here is a list of what they are going to being producing, if a design isn't listed it has been dropped.

Hornady 2013 production list

It seem as though as most of the InterLock bullets have been dropped, or at least the bullets I used in the past such as the 170-grain 30-30 bullet, the 32 Win Spl FP, 375 Win FP, and 444 Marlin 265-grain FP.

At one time I was a Hornady guy, brass and bullets, but they lost me when they started cutting their brass short to accommodate the FTX bullets. I'm glad I made the switch to cast. They are the big dog when it comes to gas checks but there are growing alternatives to that as well.
Michael
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Has Your Hornady Bullet Been Dropped?

Post by Dan 444 »

Michael,

I think that Hornady has only suspended production until the end of the year, while they catch-up on a backlog of orders for the higher-demand bullets. I saw their announcement regarding the "suspension".........I'll see if I can find it.......

Dan
pricedo
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by pricedo »

The 350 grain FP bullets and the factory ammo made from them for the 450 Marlin caliber have been dropped. Glad I stockpiled a good supply of both.
Looks like Hornady is going directly by sales figures and anything with marginal volume is being axed.
Once the one old machine that stamps out copper gas checks finally grinds to a halt I can see Hornady dropping production of those.
The hc-lead bullet hunters use most of the gas checks and they are usually not required for the light cowboy action loads.
I doubt if there are enough hc-lead hunters to make it worthwhile for Hornady to have a new gas check stamping machine built.
Perhaps cottage industries will sprout up to fill the vacuum. There must be alternative DIY materials and technologies to replace copper gas checks. Time for a little out of the box thinking.
I kinda the think the suspension of some products will be permanent.
The motto for success in today's manufacturing market is LEAN & MEAN.
LIFE MEMBERS (NRA & GOA)
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Did Hornady get bought out by some large conglomerant ? That would explain alot as profit rules with the big outfits.
But as our fearless leader wrote.. I am so glad I am a caster. I make my own and the only way mine go out of production is if I decide there is some better mold or a better mix to try. Never a shortage. Never a wonder if I can keep shooting. And personally I think my cast boolits are as accurate and as deadly on the critters I have popped as were any of those undersized and expensive boxed brands all the "rags" stated I could not successfully hunt without.
Plus I get to shoot calibers most shooter would never think possible... Sure had alot of fun with a 50-95 last time up !
Mike in Peru
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Dan 444 »

Video of Steve Hornady talking about the production suspension:

[youtube][/youtube]

Dan
Last edited by Dan 444 on 14 Sep 2018 06:16, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Linked the YouTube video
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks Dan and thank you Mr. Hornady!
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”