And talking about hogs...

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

And talking about hogs...

Post by Ranch Dog »

Two days ago, I hadn't left the ranch so my dog and I walked up to the highway which is about 350 yard away. We didn't get there as this is what we found about 100 yards from my house.

It seems that the previous night a new sounder of hogs had their way with portions of my quail habitat project! As luck would have it I had just finished my work with my "heavy bullet" out of my Rossi 92 so I set about planning a run in with them.

I had just finished sighting in my R92 with the 190-grain TLC359-190-RF bullets, thank goodness, because dark was soon upon us. My wife and I spent our typical evening and I decided I would start looking for trouble about an hour after moonrise. It was pitch black out there but with the moon up I figured I would not need a light. At 10:00, I walked outside and stood in the dark with my dog but she saw a fox on the other sided of the picket fence and barked. I was looking down the road to the highway, a white gravel road, and at her bark I saw at least a half dozen hogs run across the road about 100 yards out, high tailing it to safer ground. Not a problem.

I have the ability to wake myself up at set intervals so I set the internal clock to a 2 hours check. I looked at midnight and at 2:00 am but there was nothing. At 4:00 am, I almost didn't go out the door as there was a beautiful barn out on the gate post. I slipped out and he didn't move so I just glassed out across my lower food plot and immediately saw a group of hogs on it.

Not wanting to disturb the owl who was still checking me out, I slipped around house and walked straight away from the hogs. It is pretty open and it was so brilliant outside, I thought the hogs would see me. I walked straight back to the brush line and then started to follow it all the way around the house, not a short distance, to get back in front of the house near them. Some thirty minutes later, I was getting close so I stopped and checked things out with the peepers (binoculars), there were all kinds of hogs around me! There were four large hogs still on the food plot but I would not be able to get to them as there was about 18 between them & I in the remnants of a pecan orchard. I continued to slowly move forward.

As I closed the distance, I sat down to see if I could shoot over the younger hogs but it was just too flat so I decide I needed to get closer. As I continued to move in I noticed to my left a group of about six hogs was going to soon flank me and probably see me. I didn't like the shot angle on them so quietly positioned for an offhand shot, looked back ahead at the hogs scooping up pecans, picked the lead hog, let the Weaver's crosshairs overlay the his heart, and touched the trigger. Boom!

The sound of that bullet hitting the hog in still night air was awesome!

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: And talking about hogs...

Post by Ranch Dog »

During the night I got up several more times and but nothing going on in the target areas. After daylight, I found that this sounder hit another part of my bobwhite quail project area in two areas so I will be spending the night in pursuit. Unfortunately, some cloud cover is moving in so that will not help with illumination but I will make do. As I sits right now. I would estimate my loss in the project area after three nights at $3,000!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Does this mean the dominant boar theory is a wash ? :)

Freezer meat or coyote bait ?
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Does this mean the dominant boar theory is a wash ? :)

Freezer meat or coyote bait ?
Excellent questions! Second one first, freezer meat.

No, the dominant boar theory is still valid. Those boars are on the opposite side of my place. I did more investigating on this sounders movements and they are intentionally avoiding the these area. The tracking conditions are excellent do to last week's tropical rains. They are actually coming onto my place about midway back and then exiting across the highway. The entry point places them the closest to the gate keeping boars. They have to get around a long stretch of woven wire fence and they keep it very tight around that corner and then spread out in a pretty wide fan as they move away.

I've been spending a lot of time thinking out the behavior of these things the last couple of days based on a lifetime of hunting them and I think the sows in heat move into the boar's areas just like any other animal.

Planning on making a night of it one way or another. Getting ready to go out as soon as I'm finished with a light supper. DD's gon'na make be another supper around midnight to keep me going. Might not do any good but if they come they will experience a predator that hounds them this time.
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

Ah... It didn't take long to get that bullet tested out! Did it drop at the shot like you were hoping for?
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

That kind of damage would make me sick. I wish I lived closer and could offer some time chasing those critters. As much fun as it sounds having the opportunity to hunt 24/7, I've seen what they can do and hope the predictions of them spreading out of the pockets we have here in Ohio don't come true.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

First one down, north Quail project. 80 yard on knee. POA = POI. Knocked it off its feet, ran in place for 15 second & DRT.

190 grain did not exit.

Came off ranch east of me, intercepted about 150 yards into project.

Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

Good shooting.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Very interesting write up, thanks!

I guess if I tell our local hunters, that you killed wild boars with .38spl, they'll drop dead... over here they tell you everything short of a .30-06 can't stop hogs :D
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Fyodor wrote:Very interesting write up, thanks!
I guess if I tell our local hunters, that you killed wild boars with .38spl, they'll drop dead... over here they tell you everything short of a .30-06 can't stop hogs :D
I grew up on the Big Island of Hawaii. I've taken several pigs there with a Mod 92 44/40 and an M1 Carbine. Nothing more fun than bring the pig to the luau! (prepping and preparing the pit and the pig is more work than the hunting.)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”