Fall & Winter Food Plots Are Planted!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Fall & Winter Food Plots Are Planted!

Post by Ranch Dog »

The planter that I imported from China at the first of the year just finished its second planting. The effort for the fall & winter went even slicker than the first time. This all in one machine took the field from stubble to planted in one pass. Everything done in 10 hours vs. the 30 it took before!

Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Fall & Winter Food Plots Are Planted!

Post by Steve »

Pretty efficient machine. Lets copy it.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Now that is SOME serious "toy"! I assume this planting, besides providing feed for your horses, is really all about attracting game. :roll: :lol:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

You certainly have beat what I've ever seen anyone else do for a food plot. I'm used to seeing guys just shake out some seed and drive away. That looks more like a "people" food plot!!!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Its all about taking care of my whitetails and quail!
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

Awesome. It's good to be efficient. What do you plant for food plots down there? This year i put in a mix of winter rye, turnips, radish, and oats. Also a little soy which won't make it to maturity, but they sure love the young soy for browse. I plowed, disked, and planted in the middle of August but didn't get rain till the last few days of the month. It's starting to get pretty lush now. I should get full growth on everything else before the frost sets in up here.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve wrote:Pretty efficient machine. Lets copy it.
That is the funny thing. There is nothing made in the US that is tiller based. There are disc harrow planters but they don't do fertilizer which is just another step in the field. A US built 7' harrow based planter is going to cost about $13K to $16K. I'm all in on this planter, China to my ranch, for $4237. It is built like a tank. Complete parts are available as well from China direct within the week at rates less than sending the same weight from California to Texas. What is weird is that this 2300 lb planter cost $326 US to ship from China to Dallas! I just tried to order a steel chicken coop that would protect my chickens from the night critters. The coop was $600 and the shipping from California was $630! I gave my chickens away.
daboone wrote:Now that is SOME serious "toy"! I assume this planting, besides providing feed for your horses, is really all about attracting game. :roll: :lol:
The horses are not mine, I let a neighbor graze them over here. They were sent home. I do some electric fencing on the plots to keep them out and once those are up they will be back.
357cyrus wrote:Awesome. It's good to be efficient. What do you plant for food plots down there? This year i put in a mix of winter rye, turnips, radish, and oats. Also a little soy which won't make it to maturity, but they sure love the young soy for browse. I plowed, disked, and planted in the middle of August but didn't get rain till the last few days of the month. It's starting to get pretty lush now. I should get full growth on everything else before the frost sets in up here.
I went with a blend produced by a local seed outfit that specializes in wildlife mixes. It is mainly cereals oats, triticale, wheat and a trace amount of winterpeas.

The machine is a real time saver, an all in one pass and I'm done. I go into the field of existing stubble and it mixes the fertilizer in as it tills, seeds at the correct depth, and packs the soil in one pass.
Michael
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Your pricing of machine and parts and shipping cause me to discern WHY? Didn't USA used to be number 1, where have we fallen to and why can't we get up? Not really a gripe, just sometimes change hurts, the older I get the more I experience this new age.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

number1wrench wrote:Your pricing of machine and parts and shipping cause me to discern WHY? Didn't USA used to be number 1, where have we fallen to and why can't we get up? Not really a gripe, just sometimes change hurts, the older I get the more I experience this new age.
Well, we stopped making everything about a decade ago and there are a lot of reasons for it.

I just bought a Coleman tent for a hunt I'm going on. I had been looking at four season tents on ebay and honestly, those coming straight out of China look the best, look like I won't get cold and have a lot of room but I do try to buy American. That Coleman tent arrived and first thing I noticed was "Made In Bangladesh". %@*&$!

Honestly I knew better as I'm a firm believer that the mantra of "Buy American" is just a slogan that corporations hope will line their pockets while they buy outside the country and charge us an arm & a leg. The next time the choice is Coleman vs. a better product from China, I will buy the latter.

I was cleaning up that planter this morning, prepping it for storage and the sad thought I had was that we, America, could not build a better product. I don't think we have the skill set and infrastructure do it anymore.

Of course here we sit on this forum with the subject of our affection being a rifle built in another country.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I was at Red Wing yesterday. I couldn't find a pair of boots that were both made here and made of parts from here...... Kung Pow boot factory or imported parts ........ next thing ya know Levis will all come from Sri Lanka. ........

It's a shame American made used to be the cream of the cream ,Cessna meant airplane on 4 continents , Crescent and Channel Lock defined 2 particular tools world wide and now we can't even compete with ourselves in products that are uniquely ours......
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”