Beginning

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Beginning

Post by daboone »

Here is the least expensive and an classic powder at to go for those 2 calibers, Lee Loaders.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/ ... der-pistol
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The hand press will do fine for those . I would still go with a rigid press.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
buddha1percent

Post by buddha1percent »

I load both those calibers.
Get a single stage press kit
With all the tools and start simple.
Simple is good.
Try a easy load with a forgiving powder
Unique is a great starter powder
There are many.
Carefully prep your brass and reload your shells and shoot them.
Work on consistency
Do your best to get the same amount of powder in each shell.
Don't miss fill ANY.
Set bullets and crimp.
It will take a while to get used to it but you have so many options for your ammunition.
Good luck buddy
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

These calibers can easily be loaded with the hand press or any other small frame press.

My recommendation still is the classic turret, because it's just the most versatile press I know, ant the spent primer disposal system is just great. If you take that press, use LEE 4 die carbide sets.

If you don't load too many rounds, the hand press would also be great to start with. It was my first reloading press, and I still use it and like it. Perfect for on stage load development or small batches. I suggest using 3 die carbide sets, and seat and crimp in one step, because I'm lazzy and don't want to change dies more often than necessary. Only downside is the spent primer container inside the press stem, which will only hold about 20 small primers before it becomes difficult to empty. To do so, you have to remove the shell holder and die, and turn the press upside down. Apart from that, it's a great little press, and there is no other press that lets you see and learn reloading so close and from so many angles (litteraly ;) )
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by scotland »

I went with the Lee Classic Turret. My reasoning was simple. It is a simple system than can be ran in single stage or you can take advantage the the turret. I normally use it as a single to deprime. Then run through the tumbler to clean. Then setup as a turret and load them up. The biggest thing is to read all you can and really know what you are doing at each step.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

So many suggestions that may be we scared the guy off?
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Hope He's just thinking over the options. My suggestion would be to avoid the smaller cheaper presses like the Pardner and the Lee C press. At least get the Lee anniversary kit with the Challenger press or the Classic Turret kit. Either one comes with most everything you need minus the dies. Either one is strong enough to full length resize cases and not start feeling the linkage have wear, they both use the excellent Safety Prime system, turrets are easy to swap out to leave the dies in place, the breach lock system of the Challenger allows you to set the dies in collets and leave them set even when you remove them, and they will both still be in use years down the road once you outgrow the little single stage presses.

Biggest suggestion though is to buy and read and then re-read a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading". I bought mine from Amazon and I still pull it down and thumb through it time to time.
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Ranch Dog wrote:So many suggestions that may be we scared the guy off?
Heck, I got nerviest just reading the post. I think about where I was a year ago when I started reloading
and where I'm at now with my equipment and some knowledge. If it weren't for my father in law and you guys here on the forum. I would of blew some thing up, or hurt my self by now. I'm glad he came here to the right place to get some answers. I just told a guy the other day on you tube he should come over here and get some answers for his questions on getting started in to reloading. I sure hope he took my advice.

:D :D :D

Return to “Topic Bucket”