A couple of things .

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

A couple of things .

Post by RBHarter »

I saw a guy wondering about a gas checking device like a hand primer . That left me thinking "how would have a die holder" then he elaborated that he would size them later and seat checks during the game ......... bang like a ton of bricks it hit me another good reason for a guy to have a hand press . About 1 more good reason and I'll have to buy at least 3.

RD could a guy prevail on your skills to get an ogival 278 140 gr cast bullet suitable for that short necked , short leade 6.8 SPCII? I have a 27-130 but the check is way below the neck and the lube between the check and bottom band is exposed to the powder . That 27-130 is just about perfect if the shank were shorter and the nose longer it would be better.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: A couple of things .

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:RD could a guy prevail on your skills to get an ogival 278 140 gr cast bullet suitable for that short necked , short leade 6.8 SPCII? I have a 27-130 but the check is way below the neck and the lube between the check and bottom band is exposed to the powder . That 27-130 is just about perfect if the shank were shorter and the nose longer it would be better.
I will put it on some kind of list. Honestly, I will be tied up with farming through October.

What specifically is a 6.8 SPCII? Is it a 6.8mm Rem SPC? If not, I would need a detailed chamber drawing to work with, not a cartridge drawing. It takes about 8 to 10 hours to design a bullet so I need a pretty good chunk of uninterrupted time.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

As I understand it the SPCII was given a little neck room and a leade change that allows for "Weatherby jump" with jacketed. Some of the AR builders are using up to .1 throat (case mouth to groove dia). Mine isn't that extreme but 278 sized cast is lead free at 140 gr tripping along over 2100 fps. The thing in it is that the cast 27-130 is some much shorter than a jacketed 120 . I don't have my numbers in hand but it is on the order of .990 vs 1.19 (Hornady 120SST ) but they seat at the same depth . The AR Stoner mags allow 2.295 COAL and the 27-130 has to seat at 2.100 (again no numbers in hand ) . I know that long bore ride boolits can get weird if they don't fit just so ,too much ogive and you fight slump ,not enough drive length you lose gas seal or have to have a boolit to hard to hunt and on it goes ......
My hope would be for a scaled version of a model 8 compatible RD 310-150 for the 300 Savage but I'm a dreamer .
The Mountain moulds worksheet says that 145 gr stretch of the 27130 w/o a crimp groove needs a 1-9 but at 140 will go in a 1-10 . Which is fine but at 75 yd I have round holes with the 130 that weighs 137, so maybe I have THAT bbl , maybe it works at 4000 feet but won't at sea level . Maybe if the boolit moves out I can use a slower powder to drive the heavier bullet faster ,stay within the pressure limits/demands and get the BC back . Just to poke at the guys spending $1.25 a shot to load TTXs and $.75 a shot for SSTs etc .
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

RD ,
If you haven't done anything with the request I have by happenstance resolved the boolit issue . I've decided to go with the 279-124 that Sweed Nelson ran a while back . Among other things it has reported weights, oddly enough not found on CB but the 6.8 Forum, of 127-9 . Which for me means that I can get what I need out of it and stay inside the cast bullets "operating window" velocities.

If you have done the work well why not I've 3 7mm and 5 moulds ,2 45s and 4 moulds, just 2 moulds for 9/38/357 but 2 for a lone 40 . I should have at least 3 for those 27s and to patch up to the 7mm.

After a further test it has been determined that what I had happen is the case of a near perfect cast load/charge consumption /acceleration /cartridge to bullet to bbl length match made in heaven . The problem is that the bullet was over 2/3 past the gas port to the muzzle before the pressure dropped far enough for the case to fully release the chamber wall grip . This could be lapped or polished to alter the case release or the load backed down to full nominal cycle or pushed up to produce more pressure for the gas system but more abuse to the action. So I know have a load that should be amazing in a bolt with a -.3 +.5 gr load work up that while satisfyingly accurate in this platform won't work well........ ;) dang it ........

The 124 should nudge up to 130 and still be suitable for full power in the cute 6.8 . After all I only need 150 fps more than I have with the 140 gr bullet to hit the 1kftlb/100 yd demand and it has more case space to do it with. :lol: I could have it in hand Saturday morning. ....... so next Friday I could try it out ......... +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:RD ,
If you haven't done anything with the request I have by happenstance resolved the boolit issue . I've decided to go with the 279-124 that Sweed Nelson ran a while back . Among other things it has reported weights, oddly enough not found on CB but the 6.8 Forum, of 127-9 . Which for me means that I can get what I need out of it and stay inside the cast bullets "operating window" velocities.

If you have done the work well why not I've 3 7mm and 5 moulds ,2 45s and 4 moulds, just 2 moulds for 9/38/357 but 2 for a lone 40 . I should have at least 3 for those 27s and to patch up to the 7mm.

After a further test it has been determined that what I had happen is the case of a near perfect cast load/charge consumption /acceleration /cartridge to bullet to bbl length match made in heaven . The problem is that the bullet was over 2/3 past the gas port to the muzzle before the pressure dropped far enough for the case to fully release the chamber wall grip . This could be lapped or polished to alter the case release or the load backed down to full nominal cycle or pushed up to produce more pressure for the gas system but more abuse to the action. So I know have a load that should be amazing in a bolt with a -.3 +.5 gr load work up that while satisfyingly accurate in this platform won't work well........ ;) dang it ........

The 124 should nudge up to 130 and still be suitable for full power in the cute 6.8 . After all I only need 150 fps more than I have with the 140 gr bullet to hit the 1kftlb/100 yd demand and it has more case space to do it with. :lol: I could have it in hand Saturday morning. ....... so next Friday I could try it out ......... +guns
Sounds good. Haven't done a thing related to this as all my time has been in the cab of my tractor.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Ill bring it along in May ,it's the Ms all purpose rifle for now . It might be fun to run a few over the Chrony at 80 ft MSL vs 4100 just to see .

Return to “Topic Bucket”