.30-30 lever

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: .30-30 lever

Post by RBHarter »

If you do it before sizing you'll keep the carbon,dirt etc out of your sizer but that's probably a negligent point with the neck only collet sizer .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

I'm using the safety prime on the turret press and full sizing die. So when I de-cap it also sizes.
Should I clean and dry cases prior to de-cap/sizing? This way the dies won't get messed up. I can clean the primer pockets after de-cap as an extra step
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

If I were using a ultrasonic cleaner I would use a "Lee Universal Decapping Die" before doing anything with the cases, then clean, then neck size.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Actually I don't know that it makes a bit of difference Ive run 1000s of pieces from 9mm to Win mags and simply wiping them clean before rolling them across my lube pad and I think maybe there might be a line in the 1st 30-06 die and I have a 38 die I should polish but it was marked up before I got it .

This is 1 of the controversy items . For maximum die life and minimized chance of scarring a die yes they should be clean 1st . Lots of folks tumble for 20 min then size/decap and tumble until clean . This removes all the loose stuff and dirt before sizing then removes the sizing lube. Any resonable care will avoid the potential for a die scar. I think cleaning more than once per cycle is excessive. I actually only clean every 3rd cycle or so and always with pick up brass.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Poppop wrote:One question I still have is when should I clean the shells with my ultrasonic? Seem logical to do it after de-cap/sizing, and before trimming,that should also take the slippery stuff of the shell.
Yep, that would be the time to clean them. It would even be better to decap them, clean them, and then size them as sometimes the necks get out of round when they are cleaned.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Poppop wrote:One question I still have is when should I clean the shells with my ultrasonic? Seem logical to do it after de-cap/sizing, and before trimming,that should also take the slippery stuff of the shell.
Yep, that would be the time to clean them. It would even be better to decap them, clean them, and then size them as sometimes the necks get out of round when they are cleaned.

That's the procedure I've come to like. The Lee Universal Depriming die makes that work like a dream. All of my brass gets deprimed before it goes into the bath, then it comes out clean, inside, outside, primer pocket and flash hole.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Bought a universal depriming die this AM. I can now use the process that you suggested.
Thanks
:D :D :D
MAGA
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Loaded 30 rds 10 ea 27.5 gr, 28.5 gr & 29.0 gr of IMR 3031 using 170 gr FP Hornady & CCI primers.
Each load felt great, neither too weak or strong. I have to pick 1 of the 3.
Now my old eyes saw double cross hairs thru the 4X scope. I think its time for a change of scopes.
Thanks to all who helped me with the 30-30 questions.
:D
MAGA
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Poppop wrote:Loaded 30 rds 10 ea 27.5 gr, 28.5 gr & 29.0 gr of IMR 3031 using 170 gr FP Hornady & CCI primers.
Each load felt great, neither too weak or strong. I have to pick 1 of the 3.
Now my old eyes saw double cross hairs thru the 4X scope. I think its time for a change of scopes.
Thanks to all who helped me with the 30-30 questions.
:D

Poppop

Being one that has made his living for about 40 years using crosshairs (yep, that's still a part of surveying), losing the ability to even resolve the crosshairs has diminished my "usefulness" in my business (actually for the last 12 years since having lasik surgery). Fortunately, my Son followed me in the profession, and decided to "stick around". I can't see irons with my readers on as well as I could 15 years ago before the great loss, and very little helps with most scopes either. I recently removed a 1973 vintage Bushnell Sportview (4X) from my favorite 336 and replaced it with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9, hoping for better crosshair resolution. Before the "switch" my old 336 would easily shoot poa-1 moa groups off a rest. Now it's 2 moa with the "better" scope. I'm considering going back to the old Sportview. I doesn't have near the light gathering quality as the Nikon, but for some reason I can find the cross hairs better.

Losing vision is frustrating.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”