leverevolution crimping with Lee FCD

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
motard
My Press Choice: Single Stage

leverevolution crimping with Lee FCD

Post by motard »

So I am in the process of reloading about one hundred leverevolution 45-70 brass. This stuff is way shorter than sami specs, about 2-3mm less, and while normal RCBS dies can manage decapping, reforming and seating, it appears impossible to crimp. I have partially solved the problem shortnening 2,5 mm the seater-crimper dies, and rechamfering it's base. So I can appply a steady roller crimp. Problem appear with the Lee Factory Crimp Die that doesn't rely on trhrding for whorking but only on the lenght of the internal tube. I could shorten it too but, then it would'nt whork with Starline or other common brass that I have.
My idea was to crimp, head down. Inserting the bullet from the top of the press untill the collar reach the crimping pliers of the die, and then pushing the lever and the empty shell'older up to activate the die. It works quite whell but to speed up the process I need to make me a short tube, or a inverted L shape bar, wher hanghing the bullett so to have always the correct lengh inserted in the dies.
what you think about
Ps: I know Lee FC is all but expensive but here in Italy I had to whait long time to find one, and it cost twaice or tree time as in Us
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: leverevolution crimping with Lee FCD

Post by Maximumbob54 »

You might want to search out the Redding crimp die if you really want to stick with the FTX bullets.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/online ... -ftx-cases
motard

Post by motard »

well this seems about the same resoult I have already obtained with two minutes on a late, my rcbs shortened seater whorks wellwith both, comon and ftx brass and apply a steady roller crimp. but i woul like to use the Lee FC aswell because of the different crimping features.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've always thought Hornady ought to be responsible enough to offer dies to accommodate the cartridges that were affected by their decision to differ from the SAAMI/CIP specification. What fellows are doing in the US that want to use a FCD is special ordering a die from Lee but I realize that is probably not an option in your case. I really don't see this as Lee's problem but as Hornady's.
Michael
motard

Post by motard »

I fully agree. Not a Lee problem at all. I didn't know the lenght issue begor buing hornady ammunition. But now that I ave it and had shoot them all I woukd'nt like to waste it. I'll probabky will.keep crimping with my shortened rcbs die untill they will fail and deserve de LFC for "noble" brass
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I've often wondered about this; reloading Leverevolution brass. I know it's shorter due to the longer pointy bullets but I've never purchased any Leverevolution ammo, nor ran across any brass...

Would Hornady have an answer?
TexNAss
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by TexNAss »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've always thought ..... I really don't see this as Lee's problem but as Hornady's.
Correct- it ain't Lee's fault. Hornady deliberately made 'em short.

I've a box of 454 brass here, unopened- since I heard they are 'factory shortened' to suit their rubber bullets. Grrrr. One day I'll open them up to confirm it's true.

Worst thing, I've always had a good run from Hornady cases over the last 20+years. #Shakes a fist @ their marketing&hype team idiots.#

I was told the RCBS dies- can do a roll crimp on their shortened 454 cases- (which I do also have a set) so maybe I can come out in front, with either a slightly reduced load/higher pressure risk.

Tex.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

It has been awhile but I know that the 444 Marlin, 45-70 Govt, and 450 Marlin brass is short. Sent it all back and bought 1,000 444 Marlin Remington cases, 1,000 45-70 Govt Starline cases, and sold the 450 Marlin rifle (1895MR) as I knew it was dead in the water.
Michael

Return to “Rifle”