Lee Loader .30-30

The little red box that started it all!
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Lee Loader .30-30

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm still waiting on the priming rod for my .223 kit and the case mouth expander for this one but I couldn't resist at least giving it a try for the first steps. I assume this works like all the rest of them with my Lyman hammer whacking away. Would be a Lee but they don't see fit to make one! The primer pops right out, the new one sets in the holder and pops right in, the case mouth was already neck sized, and for now I'm done until I get that expander. I ordered the expander for .310" (may order one for .311" to see if it works better) so I can seat lead bullets without shaving the sides. Of course I could do this with existing dies on my press but this is for fun! And it may be slow, it may be awkward, but it's crazy fun. You really have to try one to appreciate it. Now that I've got this one I think I will order one in 8mm Mauser next!

Pic of work so far:
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Lee Loader .30-30

Post by mr surveyor »

if you just need to "bell" the case mouth a little bit, either a pair of needle nosed pliers (uuhhh... closed of course) or a metal tipped wine bottle "stopper" will usually do the trick. When I was tinkering with the 9mm Lee Classic Loader, both of those "tools" worked adequately for me to start cast boolits without shaving.

I really need to get a 30-30 Classic loader myself while they can still be found.

Just a suggestion for a possible "fix".

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I started reloading with the Lee Loader for a 30-30 Win. It is funny that Lee doesn't see them as "profitable" and have dropped so many. I would subsidize their production if I were them as that little kit, that I paid around $10 for many years ago, made me a Lee customer. No telling how many have started and stayed with Lee because of these kits. I suspect that I have spent into five digits with Lee over the course of my life and I know if you throw in the mold busines, six digits. All because of a little $10 kit.
Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

Makes sense RD. I too got started that way, and know others that have. If not for that little hand loader I don't know which manufacture I might have went with on more advanced loading equipment.
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by number1wrench »

Ranch Dog wrote:I started reloading with the Lee Loader for a 30-30 Win. It is funny that Lee doesn't see them as "profitable" and have dropped so many. I would subsidize their production if I were them as that little kit, that I paid around $10 for many years ago, made me a Lee customer. No telling how many have started and stayed with Lee because of these kits. I suspect that I have spent into five digits with Lee over the course of my life and I know if you throw in the mold busines, six digits. All because of a little $10 kit.
I couldn't agree more with the "made me a Lee customer." I started with nail, bolt, putty knife, wood block with a hole in it, and a needle nose plier. Made my powder measure from cartridge case to dimension in a magazine article. workin' with a 30-30. Lucky my powder measure was accurate, purchased Lee Loader shortly thereafter, been hooked ever since. If it stops being fun for me I hope I have helped pass on the legacy.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Finally got the expander I ordered. It was $8 with $4 shipping and as shown it's right at .310" which is what I requested. And it sure took that 6-8 weeks they said it would but it's here now.

The other part is for another thread...
mdatlanta

Post by mdatlanta »

Hello!
As a newbie to the forum, I had to smile that there are so many other folks who started with, and continue to use, the Lee Loader. :)

I reloaded two boxes of .30-30s with my Lee Loader last weekend. It is very satisfying!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

My flairing tool is a 20mm AP bullet. It works well as a hand tool but being drilled and tapped 1/4-20 in the base makes it handy on the drill press to not only flair cases but to polish the mouth .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
nanuk-O-dah-Nort
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by nanuk-O-dah-Nort »

RBHarter wrote: 26 Nov 2015 09:29 My flairing tool is a 20mm AP bullet. It works well as a hand tool but being drilled and tapped 1/4-20 in the base makes it handy on the drill press to not only flair cases but to polish the mouth .
That's called "Thinking Outside the Box"

Great idea

in fact, I am going to put that one on my "To Do" list and look for something I can replicate that with... polished mouths I think is a great idea
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I use an inert .50BMG for a similar reason: straightening dented case mouths. The case of the fifty perfectly fits my hand.

And it is way easier to get than a 40mm.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Lee Loader®”