480 Ruger & TLC478-375-RF

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 480 Ruger & TLC478-375-RF

Post by Maximumbob54 »

This is the exact reason why I used the Universal Neck Expanding die with lead bullets. It completely eliminates this problem. Just enough belling of the mouth and the most stubborn bullets slide right into the case. The trick is to not over do the expanding or you will start working the brass and end up with case splitting. I've been told that it helps to expand these larger tougher cases with some case lube even with carbide. I've not joined the larger than .44 mag / .45 Colt realm so I shouldn't comment any further.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

Well, weather permitting, I should be shooting my first batch on Friday. I still haven't been able to get a crimp on these the way I normally do with these dies and other cartridges. Don't know what the issue is there. Maybe since I'm not trimming the cases unless they're over max the mouths go past the crimp groove and just press tight against the lead. Either way, ill just be testing what I've extrapolated from a couple sources (don't try this @ home) to be a moderate load... 18.0gr of 2400. Mainly I want to see where it impacts on paper with the factory sight before I buy an upgraded one to do the rest of the testing.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Well, weather permitting, I should be shooting my first batch on Friday. I still haven't been able to get a crimp on these the way I normally do with these dies and other cartridges. Don't know what the issue is there. Maybe since I'm not trimming the cases unless they're over max the mouths go past the crimp groove and just press tight against the lead. Either way, ill just be testing what I've extrapolated from a couple sources (don't try this @ home) to be a moderate load... 18.0gr of 2400. Mainly I want to see where it impacts on paper with the factory sight before I buy an upgraded one to do the rest of the testing.
I suspect the crimping issue is the nonuniform length of the untrimmed brass.
Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”