480 Ruger & TLC478-375-RF

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

480 Ruger & TLC478-375-RF

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Not much for introductions, but hello to all. I've been loading for several years now and discovered a hobby I truly enjoy. Thanks in advance to all who share here.
Thanks for participating Cyrus. DId you ever get your sizing die from Buckshot?
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 480 Ruger & TLC478-375-RF

Post by 357cyrus »

Ranch Dog wrote: DId you ever get your sizing die from Buckshot?

Yes, got it back earlier than I thought I would. I think it sizes perfectly, but its my first time sizing, so that doesn't really say much! I should be loading charges with 2400 this week, and maybe shoot the next. The only concern I have is when I tried to load 3 dummy rounds, case mouths kept shaving lead from the bullets. Each time I belled a little more with the expander die but didn't fix it with those 3 before time ran out that night. Never really had to bell anything out that much so just seemed strange. Also, I think I remember you mentioning that you have a Super Redhawk in 480. If so, do bullets sized to .478 fit your SRH? Mine looks like it might need a little attention from a gunsmith to make that happen.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:The only concern I have is when I tried to load 3 dummy rounds, case mouths kept shaving lead from the bullets. Each time I belled a little more with the expander die but didn't fix it with those 3 before time ran out that night. Never really had to bell anything out that much so just seemed strange.
Are you using Lee dies? What about the brass? I'm using Lee with Starline, I will take some measurements and get back with you. I will probably prune these into a new topic in an appropriate forum... no worries, I will leave a shadow here.
357cyrus wrote:Also, I think I remember you mentioning that you have a Super Redhawk in 480. If so, do bullets sized to .478 fit your SRH? Mine looks like it might need a little attention from a gunsmith to make that happen.
No, only the R92. I have been seriously thinking about buying the next Taurus I see.
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Yes, using Lee dies. But Hornady brass. Tried a little fiddling with the dies tonight without much success. The powder through expander die instructions say to screw it in to touch the shellholder and then back it out one turn. To bell more screw it in. I tried screwing it in and flaring wider by quarter turn increments until I was a quarter turn PAST touching the shellholder. All settings still shaved lead about the same, here's what i'm looking at.
bullet.JPG
Also, can't seem to crimp. Didn't trim the brass as it was under max. Seated to 1.630 and highest groove seemed too deep in the brass. Then seated to try and crimp into the groove, and seemed like the groove was filled with lead and wouldn't let brass in. Sooooo... kinda scratching my head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sent you a PM and I will look at the setup on my dies and get back here. Just out of curiosity could you measure the length of the brass, an average, and also the average rim thickness.
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

After sizing brass length. 1.279. 1.272. 1.283. 1.272. 1.281
*************** Thickness. .065" .069" .065" .069" .065
********************* Case *** 1. *** 2. *** 3. *** 4. *** 5
All were hornady 325gr XTP. Fired from my SRH

Finding that some of my brass won't fit into the number 5 shell holder that comes with the dies (which I think you mentioned before on Rossi-Rifleman.) The rims on those are .002 larger in diameter.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is what I have Cyrus using my Starline brass. I started with once fired and resized, chamfered, & deburred then took the measurements. All the dimensions are very tight but what I found surprising is that the Powder Through Expander die produced ZERO deviation. I actually have never measured and run the nummies on it before.

The Expander die is turned in 1/2 turn after shell holder contact. This has become my standard and I suspect if I looked at the two dozen sets I have this would be the average. There is only a slight difference in the depth if you examine what portion of the gas check is exposed.

This is just a view from above, only slight difference in case mouth outside diameter between sized on far right and expanded on far left.

Bullet seated about half a ram stroke on left and completely seated on right. With the uniform brass, I am able to have the bullet seating die apply the crimp at the end of the stroke. Seating a crimping in one step.

I went ahead and checked my bullets and they measured .478" without deviation. This is after they went through the Lee special order .478" sizer. The alloy is a Lyman #2 clone that I cast, water quenched for 21 BHN.
357cyrus wrote:Finding that some of my brass won't fit into the number 5 shell holder that comes with the dies (which I think you mentioned before on Rossi-Rifleman.) The rims on those are .002 larger in diameter.
No issue with the case rim of the Starline brass not fitting the shell holder. I'm unable to pass a cartridge through the loading gate of my rifle. My preference is using the port in the magazine tube. I had this rifle down for a week while I refinished the stock but forgot to look at the gate.

So next question is are you chamfering and deburring? Next, is the alloy. What are you using? Finally, have you checked the diameter of your bullets after sending them through the sizer?
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Ranch Dog wrote:are you chamfering and deburring?
Nope! You mentioned chamfering/deburring in the 2nd sentence of that post, and right then I got a suspicion that is the problem. Most all the pistol loading ive done was with jacketed bullets through a turret press, and it seems I got away without doing that chore. I'd size/deprime, check for length, then put it right back in and keep on pulling the lever. Every now and then I'd get a little trace of the jacket shaved off, but barely there so i never thought anything of it. I also didn't re-lube these bullets after sizing since i was just making dummy rounds, that might help a bit too. Alloy was 9.5#WW, .5# tin(not pewter), and 1oz by volume of number 8 shot like you recommended. And yes, bullets come out of sizer right at .478. Should be able to make those adjustments and try again tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

That was it. Chamfered and deburred the case, re-lubed the bullet, pressed them together, and out came a new round pretty as could be. Thanks again!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Glad it worked out! You had be worried!

Nice fish in your avatar!
Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”