Load Master 223 "Case Throttle"

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
6Gears1Speed
My Press Choice: Progressive

Load Master 223 "Case Throttle"

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I don't know about the rest of you but no matter how I set my case collator and feeder for 223 I always have cases that topple over. The cases are narrow, tall and bottlenecked, and the weight of the cases in the tube is sitting on the round being fed. The top of the case being fed is held in place by the cases in the tube and it topples over.

I built a rig that prevents this from happening. I call it a Case Throttle because it throttles the cases coming down from the collator tube. It's essentially a lever that sits under the stack of cases in the tube so the case being fed doesn't have the weight of the cases on top of it and allows it to move freely. There is one important thing I discovered that allows it to work but I'll keep that secret for now :D .

This is a prototype just to prove that it works. it needs some refinement but for now it will help. I hate stopping in the middle of loading to clear a case that has toppled over. Often the toppled case lands on top of the shell plate and requires that I stop what I'm doing to clear it.

I don't have the means to develop this into a real product but if someone here does feel free to do so. I would ask that you throw me a bone if you actually make money on it ;) .

Video is best viewed in full screen mode by clicking the icon on the bottom right of the video.

[youtube][/youtube]
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Load Master 223 "Case Throttle"

Post by 62chevy »

Looks like a good fix for the problem you had.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Interesting fix. Sooner or later this year, I will start loading 7.62x39 on one of my Load-Masters. Something like this is probably going to be needed.
Michael
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I suppose I could have doubled up on the feeder to make it higher and not push only the bottom of the case, but this was more fun...
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

This video shows me loading up some 223, and on two occasions the case throttle prevented what I call an avalanche. It's also good for when you have a problem or just want to stop. The case throttle will hold the remaining cases in the tube so you can cycle the cases on the shell plate through without more cases being fed and you can keep the collator in place. My goal is to automate it so on the down swing of the lever it feeds a case and goes back to hold by itself.

[youtube][/youtube]
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Nifty little ash tray you have, lol.
Je suis Charlie
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Ha. That ashtray has been around for almost 27 years. I got it while on our honeymoon in Florida. It's a grease dish for my grease brush now :) .

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”