Using the Universal Neck Expanding Die

Decapping, Rifle Charging, Universal Case Expanding Die, and other utility dies.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Using the Universal Neck Expanding Die

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If the Lee Universal Neck Expanding die fits here as well then I want to say I love that die. I recently found a new use for it. Seeing some flat base bullets into a .223 was driving me nuts. The case mouth was chamfered and deburred and they still didn't want to seat without trouble. Just a hint of opening the case mouth and the super flat bottomed bullets went right in nice and easy. Then the Lee FCD closed up that little bit of bell and everything was wonderful again. I doubt I'm the first one to do that and that die also works great for cast bullets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Using the Universal Neck Expanding Die

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:If the Lee Universal Neck Expanding die fits here as well then I want to say I love that die. I recently found a new use for it. Seeing some flat base bullets into a .223 was driving me nuts. The case mouth was chamfered and deburred and they still didn't want to seat without trouble. Just a hint of opening the case mouth and the super flat bottomed bullets went right in nice and easy. Then the Lee FCD closed up that little bit of bell and everything was wonderful again. I doubt I'm the first one to do that and that die also works great for cast bullets.
Might take this to a standalone topic for the Universal Neck Expanding Die!

As a cast bullet shooter, I use them with each cartridge that I'm loading that doesn't have a Powder Through Expander Die. On a four hole turret plate I start with the Universal Neck Expanding die (I resize on the single stage Breech Lock) then move to the Rifle charging die (I now use the Perfect Powder Measure on top of that die with Gun Guide's Perfect Adapter), next the bullet seating die, and finally the FCD. I have turret plates setup for the 30-30 Win & 35 Rem. Also had them setup for my 219 Zipper, 308 MX, & 338 MX but I sold those rifles.
Michael
Centaur 1

Post by Centaur 1 »

The Lee universal expander gets a lot of use at my house. I went so far as to buy the cheap $30 Lee press just for the expanding die. The only time I remove it is when I use the press to size a batch of cast bullets.
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

I have two. One on my 30-30 turret and one for my wife's 35 Rem turret.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
moonie

Post by moonie »

For my 30 caliber rifle cartridges I use the powder through expander for a 30 carbine, expands perfectly and charges at the same time.

I use the universal for .223/5.56 and 8mm cast loads though, it works well but I prefer the powder through expander when one can be used.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

I have used one to open up case mouths that have been bent. Salvaged a few cases that way.
A couple weeks ago I finally used it for what it is advertised for. Flare for cast bullets. I have one mounted on the turret I use for decapping, one on the 380 ACP turret, And one on the 40 s&w turret. They really work well with the cast bullets.

My decapping turret for Loadmaster.
Station 2. expanding die.
station 3. Universal decapping die.
station 4. Universal decapping die.
DecapTurret1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by oscarflytyer »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:If the Lee Universal Neck Expanding die fits here as well then I want to say I love that die. I recently found a new use for it. Seeing some flat base bullets into a .223 was driving me nuts. The case mouth was chamfered and deburred and they still didn't want to seat without trouble. Just a hint of opening the case mouth and the super flat bottomed bullets went right in nice and easy. Then the Lee FCD closed up that little bit of bell and everything was wonderful again. I doubt I'm the first one to do that and that die also works great for cast bullets.
Might take this to a standalone topic for the Universal Neck Expanding Die!

As a cast bullet shooter, I use them with each cartridge that I'm loading that doesn't have a Powder Through Expander Die. On a four hole turret plate I start with the Universal Neck Expanding die (I resize on the single stage Breech Lock) then move to the Rifle charging die (I now use the Perfect Powder Measure on top of that die with Gun Guide's Perfect Adapter), next the bullet seating die, and finally the FCD. I have turret plates setup for the 30-30 Win & 35 Rem. Also had them setup for my 219 Zipper, 308 MX, & 338 MX but I sold those rifles.
Michael

so the 'case thru expander' die does as well a job of expanding a neck (and maybe better for a specific cartridge?@?) than the Universal Expander???

I have a number of Lee die sets with the case thru expander die, but have yet to use it - as I have been very happy with the Universal Expander die (which I had first - for cast bullets...).

If this is the case, guess I need to try one of the case thru expander dies...
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

I'm a newbie so please be patient with me. Am I correct in assuming that the re-sizing die does not flare the neck? I've had a problem with .45 ACP shaving some of the bullets sides. I now prime off press so I was thinking of using that station on my Load Master for this Universal Neck Expanding??? Is this OK? Should one of the other dies be accomplishing this? Ed
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Lee states the Powder Through Die is suppose to expand the case. Mine must be adjusted wrong, got to go look now.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

For Loadmaster users:
If you prime in station 2 as well as expand the case mouth with a universal expander at the same time, and a primer detonates while going in crocked, the blast will have no place to go but back along side the primer which might detonate primers in the primer trough. This could get very loud.

If I were doing that I would drill as large a whole as possible straight down through the expander components so the blast could escape out the end of the die

Return to “Utility”