My favorite mould

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

My favorite mould

Post by Steelbanger »

It happens to be a Ranch Dog design for the 44 mag & 444 Rem. The particular mould I'm using this morning is the 240 gr in a 6 cavity Lee with three bullets being cut for a gas check and the other three are plain base bullets. I haven't thrown any back in the pot today and don't expect to because these are the most uniform bullets I have ever cast. When I open the blocks the bullets just drop out, with no jiggling, knocking, etc. I shoot the plain base out of my Super Blackhawk Bisley 44 Mag. and the gas check design in my 44 Mag rifles.

At the moment my least favorite mould is a brand new Lyman 4 cavity 429215. With Lyman's newly designed handles it places all the weight of the mould and handles way forward which makes it very hard for me to hold for an extended casting period. I think it is really my fault for growing older and losing the strength in my wrists but there was a day when I would use three 4 cav Lyman's at one time and at a pace which would let the moulds stay at optimum temperature. Nowadays I must rest my wrist between casts and could never manage three at a time again. No stopping the calendar!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: My favorite mould

Post by RBHarter »

Damn the clock and calender !

I can't imagine running 4 cavity iron blocks, the 2 cavity blocks I have I can only run about 5# at a time in the little 1s and 10 in the bigger ones ..... I guess I probably run about the same cast count in the 4,5,6 cavity AL moulds, just a lot more bullets . It's funny,when it is flowing the 22-55 NOE 4C is as nice to run and drops as many good bullets as the 454-255 RNFP or the 358-125 RNFP or even the 401-175 6C Lee's. I need a bigger ladle really for the 40 and 45s. Then there are the days where nothing flows and I may as well just be pouring back into the pot and skip the mould . As far as nice to pour and a low reject rate goes iron moulds make me happier but I'd still rather get the count than the lowest rate (all things being equal 20# of 45s in 30 min with a 15% reject rate beats 20#of 45s in 2hr with a 5% rate) . It is different when it is just 100 of that or 100 of those for that a 6C is just getting started.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:It happens to be a Ranch Dog design for the 44 mag & 444 Rem.
That is good to hear! I just cast some of them up and now need to lube them. I really need to hire someone to cast for me. I thought I would have more time once I retired but… I'm just not sure what happened!
Michael
galaxieman
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by galaxieman »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Steelbanger wrote:It happens to be a Ranch Dog design for the 44 mag & 444 Rem.
That is good to hear! I just cast some of them up and now need to lube them. I really need to hire someone to cast for me. I thought I would have more time once I retired but… I'm just not sure what happened!
Where can I get an application?? :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

galaxieman wrote:Where can I get an application?? :D
Oh that's easy, only two questions on the application. Will you cast a quality bullet for a penny each? Can you cast and lube at least 500 bullets a day?
Michael

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”