45acp seating die, with out the crimp <lol>

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Patriot007
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 45acp seating die, with out the crimp <lol>

Post by Patriot007 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Just can't guess the right setup can I! Should have looked it up and thanks for the references.
Any time. :) :) :)
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by number1wrench »

I have had this die(Taper crimp die) in mind as I have followed this post. With your last post of instruction that clarified without doubt that you are in fact referring to factory crimp die with case sizing collar. I do not have a progressive or LM but have found this problem/solution query very informative. I do wonder if the die I list would solve some of the complaint I read of cast bullet users of overbore size bullets that don't want to swage the bullet when applying crimp? Thanks guys keep up the great work.
Lee Precision wrote:Lee 45 ACP/45 AUTO RIM/45 SCHOFIELD/455 WEB MARK 2/45 WIN MAG Taper Crimp Die, overcomes crimp problems caused by poor die design. Offers little or no advantage when used with 1986 or newer Lee Dies as the crimp angle is already a modified taper crimp. SKU 90785
Last edited by number1wrench on 14 Sep 2018 06:24, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: I highlighted the Lee info about the die so it would stand out.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

number1wrench wrote:I have had this die(Taper crimp die) in mind as I have followed this post. With your last post of instruction that clarified without doubt that you are in fact referring to factory crimp die with case sizing collar. I do not have a progressive or LM but have found this problem/solution query very informative. I do wonder if the die I list would solve some of the complaint I read of cast bullet users of overbore size bullets that don't want to swage the bullet when applying crimp? Thanks guys keep up the great work.
Lee Precision wrote:Lee 45 ACP/45 AUTO RIM/45 SCHOFIELD/455 WEB MARK 2/45 WIN MAG Taper Crimp Die, overcomes crimp problems caused by poor die design. Offers little or no advantage when used with 1986 or newer Lee Dies as the crimp angle is already a modified taper crimp. SKU 90785
The die would not help out with the Load Master question asked in this topic as it is not making shell plate contact as the setup is based off the case mouth.
taper_crimp_die.jpg
This might help with over diameter cast bullet crimping but I honestly, from my measurements, have not found the Carbide Handgun Factory Crimp Dies to be as "guilty" as the internet talk labels them with respect to post sizing a cast bullet. Here are my examples, taken from my over diameter bullets that were seated, cycled through the Carbide Handgun Factory Crimp Die and then pulled to measure the "incase" diameter.
CHFCD_RDO_post_sizing.jpg
Personally, I have come to really appreciate the Carbide Handgun Factory Crimp dies since I have started measuring stuff. One thing that I've had a problem with over the years is cartridge run out. That is the longitudinal axis of the bullet not being inline with the same axis of the cartridge. In other words the cartridge is not concentric. The Carbide Handgun Factory Crimp dies do a wonderful job of correcting this through their carbide ring as a "last pass" in the loading process.

How the problem surfaces is in the fitting. The case is sized then the case mouth is flared to accept the over size bullet. There is such a little "run" to seat the bullet, if the bullet is slightly non concentric to the case, the runout is established. Powder through Expander plugs like those offered by NOE can go a long way to correctly some of the issue but the HCFCD seals the deal when checked with a cartridge runout tool.

I feel strong enough about them that I just special ordered a 45 Auto CHFCD to meet my needs and I was really happy when the added the 9mm Makarov HCFCD last year. As far as when sizing takes place I believe this would express the limit as to what can pass through the ring: (SAAMI bullet diameter + the variation +.001"). As long as you are at this diameter or inside; you are good to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

This is the way I have my turret setup:
40 S&W

Station 1. Size die, decapping pin removed, shell plate contact.
Station 2. Expander die to set flare, shell plate contact.
Station 3. Case activated RCBS powder measure.
Station 4. Modified bullet seating die, taper crimp removed. Shell plate contact.
Station 5. Factory crimp die. Adjust = Shell plate contact less 1/16 turn.

To preload the ram I now put .010 shims between the handle stop points and the handle connecting lengths with the handle held down by a heavy tarp strap hooked to a table leg. With these shims removed after setup it will ensure that the shell plate is held firmly against the dies in station 1,2, and 4.

Now screw in dies 1,2,4 until they just touch the shell plate, then keep tightening them evenly until they are firmly finger tight and lock them down.

Remove the bungy strap and complete the die setup. Now when the ram is up and the dies are in contact the shell plate the shell plate will be held level by the dies with equal pressure on each die.
40Tur-W-RCBS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Ranch Dog, Number 1wrench, Steve, hey men, great Info, keep it coming. Thank yawl a million times Over.
Steve, How did you modify that seating die and remove the crimper?????????????????????????????????????????????
A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks Man.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Patriot007 wrote:Ranch Dog, Number 1wrench, Steve, hey men, great Info, keep it coming. Thank yawl a million times Over.
Steve, How did you modify that seating die and remove the crimper?????????????????????????????????????????????
burnt up a couple reamers doing it. Better to just buy the redding die.
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Yep, I know what you mean, 2 of my reamers coast more than the die. Thank you.
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Steve wrote:
Patriot007 wrote:Ranch Dog, Number 1wrench, Steve, hey men, great Info, keep it coming. Thank yawl a million times Over.
burnt up a couple reamers doing it. Better to just buy the redding die.
Thank you each and all, it is great to accumulate this knowledge. You have me thinking I should go straight to a LM. Does it make sense over a turret if you are loading more than one cartridge type and caliber? I only have a fleet of single stage presses at present and that is all I have hands on experience with. The only cartridge that is going to be loaded more will be.45ACP and I'm not sure by how great a percentage yet.
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Thank you each and all, it is great to accumulate this knowledge. You have me thinking I should go straight to a LM. Does it make sense over a turret if you are loading more than one cartridge type and caliber? I only have a fleet of single stage presses at present and that is all I have hands on experience with. The only cartridge that is going to be loaded more will be.45ACP and I'm not sure by how great a percentage yet.
Hey, if your system is working for you, I wouldn't change a thing. Although the Load Master does have it's advantages over single stage presses. And you should have all the dies you would need to make the move to a LM.. I just came out of my loading room and just deprime 150 cartridges in about 20 minuets and that includes stopping and answering the phone a couple of times. I just got this LM. set to where my OAL is not a big issue, my numbers are with in tolerance and not all over the place. Last night I ran 200 rounds with in an hour and 150 of them, I shot today. It was a good day at the range, and for me as a reloader. If it wasn't for this forum I would still be scratchen my head. But like I said if your system works, I wouldn't fix it.
I have to say, when these LM. are set up and run rite, you just can't beat them. I would recommend them to any body wanting to reload. If you didn't have all them other presses, I would tell you to go buy one.
Hey!!!, you know what, go buy you one, you will love it. If you follow this thread on the 45acp set up for the LM. you want go wrong. If you have problems with it, you are at the rite forum to get help with it.
These men live for answering questions and solving problems. Have fun, and be safe, let me know what you decide.
+guns +guns +guns
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Thank you Patriot007 I believe I will add this to my want list, I appreciate the candid advice. I have an inexpensive Hi-Point carbine in .45ACP to move off that list and the LM will probably become the next toy/challenge. As the weather goes around the nation you were fortunate to get in the range time!

Return to “Handgun”