Hints, tricks and other info

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
ROSW
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Hints, tricks and other info

Post by ROSW »

Just saw another one. If you reload 40S&W and have a spare single stage gathering dust, mount it up-side-down with the bulge-buster in it. Might not be for everyone but still, it's something to consider.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
ROSW wrote:The reason it starts to fail to quite reach the index stop is an increase in friction in the turret. When the alignment starts to change I lift out the turret and wipe down the outer diameter of the turret and the inside diameter of the press ring with an oil impregnated cloth. Drop it back in and index accuracy is spot on
I think the Lee instructions talk about this. At the start of each reloading session, I apply a coat of 30 non-detergent motor oil to the wall of the turret ring. May be I saw this on a Lee video but I thought it interesting that they used aviation type oil, same as I had been doing.
It could also be the little plastic piece in the TF3567 Lee Turret 4 hole ratchet which I got some extras at https://fsreloading.com/search.php?mode ... _https=yes So far in 2 years I have changed only 1. They wear out faster if one short strokes it.
Joe
ROSW

Post by ROSW »

I'm really new to reloading so, at least for the time being, I weigh every load. Using a digital scale, it's pretty fast and easy. Place after priming, place the brass on the scale and press the 'tare' button to zero it. Then load the powder and place the charged brass back onto the scale. It will tell you how much powder is in the case.

This is probably nothing new to experienced reloaders but I thought it was pretty cool when I 'discovered' it for myself.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

ROSW wrote:Using a digital scale, it's pretty fast and easy. Place after priming, place the brass on the scale and press the 'tare' button to zero it. Then load the powder and place the charged brass back onto the scale. It will tell you how much powder is in the case.
Great tip, Just make sure you zero the scale with each case.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
ROSW wrote:Using a digital scale, it's pretty fast and easy. Place after priming, place the brass on the scale and press the 'tare' button to zero it. Then load the powder and place the charged brass back onto the scale. It will tell you how much powder is in the case.
Great tip, Just make sure you zero the scale with each case.
+1

I do the same thing but now only every 5th round. By the time you get to the 5th case the scale has turned off so zero isn't a problem that way.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote: +1

I do the same thing but now only every 5th round. By the time you get to the 5th case the scale has turned off so zero isn't a problem that way.
Wouldn't you need to zero it with each case as each case is a slightly different weight. I was cartridge cases all the time for sorting brass and there is a pretty good variation in most. At least more variation than you would want to see in your powder charges.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
62chevy wrote: +1

Wouldn't you need to zero it with each case as each case is a slightly different weight. I was cartridge cases all the time for sorting brass and there is a pretty good variation in most. At least more variation than you would want to see in your powder charges.
I'll double check but pretty sure my scale resets to zero when turned off.
Je suis Charlie
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

But I've been home bound with a head/chest cold/fever so I took a close look via a google search for the Lee turret gadgets. This case ejector caught my eye and saw it was very simple (now that someone had the brains to figure it out). So I made one in about that 15 minutes.

I have a mixed box of springs and a drill stop set both from Harbor Freight which is what the top picture shows. I simply drilled and tapped another hole on the opposite side of the drill stop's set screw and added another screw to hold the springs. Both "set" screws protrude slightly into the center of the drill stop which keeps it aligned with the indexing rod as it rotates. So far I've tried it on M1 Carbine, 45ACP, 9x18 Mak and 7.62x39 and it works. +guns

I'm not sure if the second spring was necessary but I thought it might make it stiffer so that why there are 2 springs in the picture. It may become necessary to add a drop of Loctite to keep the screws in place. To be honest I not sure of the gadget's real usefulness yet but I was bored and thus "stuff" happens. :o
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

daboone wrote:But I've been home bound with a head/chest cold/fever so I took a close look via a google search for the Lee turret gadgets. This case ejector caught my eye and saw it was very simple (now that someone had the brains to figure it out). So I made one in about that 15 minutes.

:o
See if I get this right... it spins around and if you have it set right it will knock the completed case out of the shell holder???
Je suis Charlie
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Here's a video I saw on youtube.
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by daboone on 14 Sep 2018 06:17, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected YouTube link. Use short "share" link not the URL when using the "youtube" brackets.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Turret”