All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: LCT turret overshoot

Post by 62chevy »

----------Lee's Response---------
Keep in mind that the press needs to be operated in a rhythm. Same speed up and down on the lever. You are welcome to return your press with a note. We will inspect, repair or replace it as needed
Dave
Customer Service
What that really means is Lee has no clue on what is wrong. You already said a little slower and it doesn't happen so they would get work it slowly and say it's fine thank you very much, next. Yes a little sarcasm but tell me it ain't so.

Maybe a stronger spring in the detent would help or a second one like you suggested at first.
Je suis Charlie
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I just watched both of your videos and it made me go set a turret in my press and try something. Several times I tried different speeds to see how fast I have to go to mimic your problem. I have a defunct brand longer ergo shaped arm on my press but still the speed of the swing is the issue. I found I had to raise that arm and shove it all the way home pretty hard to start getting over rotation of the turret. I went back and watched parts of both videos and it doesn't look like you are moving so fast at first and at times you speed up. It's fine to swing the arm fast but that last second of the swing where the ratchet assembly engages the twist in the indexing rod you have to slow it down just a notch. I was only able to mimic the problem by moving really fast so mine will do this and I wasn't just slamming the arm home either. So I think Lee is at least partially correct in saying rhythm but that still isn't the right word either. But then slow down wouldn't be precisely correct either. You just have to slow down at that last second that the indexing rod is working the turret. I could swing the arm up and down fast enough that my arm started to tingle some but slowing down that last second prevented the problem. So maybe think of it as modifying how you swing. The only other thing I can think of that might be mechanical fix would be to find a way to really clean out the ball detent. There should be a spring mechanism in there that might be a little gummed up from use over the years and it's just not putting the same pressure on the detent when it rides home. That's the best I've got for why it would happen over time.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Wit the custom reverse rotation rod you may have a slightly steeper twist coupled with smoothed run in and lubrication add a little bit of wear and now your slick press is almost free wheeling.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
celem
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by celem »

RBHarter wrote:Wit the custom reverse rotation rod you may have a slightly steeper twist coupled with smoothed run in and lubrication add a little bit of wear and now your slick press is almost free wheeling.
The rods are exact duplicates of twist and twist length, simply in the opposite direction. I remain convinced that wear, imperceptible to the eye, is the culprit. I have ordered a new turret ring an the second detent plunger so I'll be doing the above described modifications and will report on my results.
celem
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Update about LCT turret overshoot mod

Post by celem »

I have completed installing a second detent plunger. Photos of the process are at http://imgur.com/a/IqjRd#0.

My success is only partial. The selected Vlier SSBH56N 5/16-18x5/8" Stainless Steel Ball Plunger's 6+ pound spring is too strong. If I screw it in sufficiently to engage the detent it puts a very observable strain on the square ratchet that turns the turret - and that is NOT a good thing. I backed out the plunger such that it just drags on the turret and this helps some with turret overshoot, reducing it but not totally eliminating it.

I intend to run with this for a while but, meanwhile, I have ordered another plunger with a much weaker spring that starts at a half pound. I'll report back after I receive and install it.

BTW - if you'll look at the photos of the 5/16" threaded hole you'll see that there is inadequate room for a larger plunger. The plunger that would match the size of Lee's ball would require a 1/2 inch hole and that would be so close to the turret ring edge that I felt that it was impractical. Consequentially, the plunger size is suboptimal.

Return to “Turret”