R44MBS Single Shot Range Day

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

R44MBS Single Shot Range Day

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been pretty busy with ranch work but promised myself that I would use the morning of the 4th to work out a safe max load of H4227 that would rival the velocity that Lil' Gun could produce. In that I use QuickLoad, I generally limit my calculated loads to 105% case density as I've seen some strange things happen to pressure as compression takes place. The slightly compressed load of H4227, 105%, just doesn't offer much. Less that 1500 FPS.

Early in the week, I attached a strain gauge to the barrel so it would be cured by the time the weekend rolled around. The Single Shot and short cartridge does not really lend itself to the gauge. The lead connector ends up being unsupported and caused me to worry about the delicate instrument making it through the range session.

Out at the range I put a lot of electrical tape on the gauge and it's lead. If it starts to bounce with recoil, it won't last very long.

Also trying out a new chronograph today. My CED had been giving me fits and I finally was tired of replacing parts. I ordered and received a Calwell Premium Kit from MIdwayUSA.

The yellow box is the pressure trace equipment which is bluetoothed to the laptop. The Caldwell chronograph is connected to my Galaxy phone via a cable, using the Caldwell Ballistic app, and the data from that app is being bluetoothed to my laptop as well.

I only shot at 25 yards because I was only interested in collecting the pressure data at today for two compressed loads of H4227. 23.0-grain which sits at 114% case density and 24.0-grains at 119%.

The left target is the 23.0-grain of H4227 and the middle is 24.0-grains. Both of these targets received 5 shots. The target on the right is three shot of H110, 21.0-grains. I use this a verification load to calibrate the test equipment. I extensively compared it against a factory load for this purpose. When I need verification ammo I like to buy Hornady because they are very free with the pressure data for the given lot. It takes about three minutes to get it from them. I have a verification load for every cartridge I shoot. With the comparison drawn years ago, I can load the verification loads rather than buy ammo.

There was no difference of the primers within the three traces.

A screenshot of the 23.0 grain load of H4227.

Same with 24.0 grains of H4277.

The load record for 23.0 grains of H4227. Muzzle velocity of 1689 FPS at 39,066 PSI.

24.0 grains of H4227. Muzzle velocity of 1788 FPS at 42,047 PSI. Both of the loads have a very stable pressure SD though both of these loads are exceeding the 36.0 KPSI MAP for the 44 Mag.

These are not revolver loads and to use them as such would be foolish and at your own risk. The Rossi Single Shot does have a .065" chamber wall and the rifle is chambered in 308 Win which is a 62.0 KPSI MAP cartridge.

What I've been looking for is a viable arm to shoot up 4 lbs of H4227. I've tried it in a number of cartridges and the velocity is disappointing all around. A full case does not generate a lot of pressure so I thought the compression might increase the velocity, making it comparable to H110 or even Lil'Gun, which it did. The Single Shot is going to be a back door hog killer. The rifle that I grab or carry on my evening walks. The sub 1500 FPS at the max for the bullet and cartridge combo was useless of my purposes and this looks like a great alternative given the firearm and will prevent the powder from becoming flower food.

Now that I've explored the potential, I will use the 23.0-grain load as the velocity sits between what H110 and Lil Gun produces.
Michael
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: R44MBS Single Shot Range Day

Post by number1wrench »

Thank you for the concise information, out of my league in technicality, but I con extrapolate and learn new about pressure differences related to compressed load and different powders. I much appreciate the time and effort you put into a fine report as this. I believe I've learned more at this forum in the little time I've been here than all other forums visited or attended.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

I agree with number1wrench on all points.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Nice write up, thanks rd
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Rifle Reloading”