Seat and crimp at the same time

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Melman71
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Seat and crimp at the same time

Post by Melman71 »

mikld wrote:The adjustments have to be just so. The bullet is moving when the die is crimping so the combination of movements has to be right on; the bullet is just above seating depth as the crimp starts. If the crimp is early, the case mouth will be formed around a moving bullet, often crinkling/bulging the case. I've been reloading for about 30 years and still separate the steps; seat all bullets, then crimp all. I'm not in any hurry so avoiding one step has no advantage for me...
thats exactly what has been happening to me
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Ranch Dog and mikdd I agree, Factory crimp or uniform case length critical and almost a kentucky windage feel to do both simultaneous. Richard Lee goes to lengths how Lee Precision arrived at crimp angle for caliber specific dies then goes on to expound Lee's factory crimp die. I believe reading between lines he is recommending factory crimp die.
Melman71

Post by Melman71 »

Yeah I would say your right
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

I've completely abandoned using the seating die for crimping. It worked well on straight walled pistol cases, and not so well on necked rifle cases. This latter group resulted in many bent necks since case length was not exactly uniform.

In short, the Lee Factory Crimp dies for all calibers is my aswer. I use them for everything, and they all work real well.

Result - no more ruined case necks - ever!

bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member

Return to “Rifle Reloading”