454 Casull Brass, Dies, and Loads

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 454 Casull Brass, Dies, and Loads

Post by akuser47 »

They look great hope they shot good to.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
6Gears1Speed
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I shot them today and they shot fine. Is there a DIY way to capture the round after I fire it? I'd love to see what it looks like.

I have a container of assorted rounds I've loaded and this week I'm going to learn how to use my new chrono. These are going to be the first in line.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

6Gears1Speed wrote:I shot them today and they shot fine. Is there a DIY way to capture the round after I fire it? I'd love to see what it looks like.

I have a container of assorted rounds I've loaded and this week I'm going to learn how to use my new chrono. These are going to be the first in line.

Water but use a 15 to 30 gal steel drum if you can. Second best is wet paper in a box.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

When I was testing my RF nose design for self defense handgun use, I used water filled milk jugs. I even built a wooden through that stacked & held them in line. The jugs worked very well.
Michael
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I was shooting at a 10" square hardened metal hinged target at 50 yards with my GP100 but I was using light 357's and couldn't flip the target. I took out my Alaskan, stuffed one of my new lead rounds into it and took one shot. BAM! Flipped the target. :D

I'm assuming that if I can hit a 10" target at 50 yards the bullet is coming out of the barrel in good shape. Especially at 30.2 grains of H110. I'm still going to capture one though.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Here's a side by side of the lead bullet vs. the jacketed bullet. As you can see the jacketed bullet does not allow for a good crimp. It's super hard and the ribbed cannelure is the same diameter as the bullet so the crimp die can't roll the mouth. I haven't had one pull yet but it could happen.

62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

That is interesting 6Gears. I know some have talked about putting a cannelure in a jacketed bullet either by making a device or buying one from a third party. Sorry can't be more help.
Je suis Charlie
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

That's OK I wasn't really looking for help I was just passing on what I found. Not sure why they would have a ribbed cannelure that's the same diameter as the bullet and doesn't give way to a roll crimp. The crimp die is adjusted the same as the lead bullet so maybe it's squeezing enough to keep the bullet in place. Maybe I'll pull one and see if there are grip marks left by the ribs.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I'd like to work up a mild load for my Alaskan 454. According to the Lee book and Hodgdon web site Tightgroup, Longshot and Unique are all suitable with more people online saying they use Unique for mild 454 loads. I've tested all three and without using a chrono they feel about the same.

The question I have is since I'm not using a "magnum" powder should I switch to a small pistol primer instead of a small rifle primer? I was thinking that since I'm using general purpose powders at higher loads a small pistol primer would be more appropriate but I'm still not up to speed on the relationship between the various primers and powders.
f100cleveland
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by f100cleveland »

I have been using small pistol primers in my mild loads for the 454. No problem using the same powders you are plus HP-38 and Trail Boss. TB seems like it has the softest recoil even with a full case of powder.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”