Not new and not pretty .

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Not new and not pretty .

Post by RBHarter »

But I needed a new rifle sling for fixed sling rings (because I'm too cheap to spring for new studs to go with QD rings I do have ). The price of new slings is just ........ well I remembered why I made the last Ranger sling and it had nothing to do with consolidation of survival gear into the everyday tools. It had to do with the 1913 GI styled leather slings being $35,now $60. It makes sense to me to spend an hour and a little bit to weave this sling out of $8 5-50 /parachute cord.
I also have the good fortune of carrying a slung rifle with a sling length that allows for the sling loop lock for off hand shooting.
I picked up 4 18ft lengths of cord from the craft area at a Walmart on our way home from California and ordered a couple of rolls for another project ,like all things the more is cheaper . 18ft is $2 while 1000 ft rolls can be had for as little $50 delivered.

I first cut 6 9ft lengths and threaded them through the bottom ring and squared the ends .
20150521_182817.jpg
Next I looped figure 8 around and between the inner and outer with the remaining 18 ft piece leaving about an inch to tuck in and tie off. Next I pulled the inner cords to the outside and pulled the first cross line . This is lapped in an "S" style and repeated.
20150521_182817.jpg
20150521_182817.jpg
The last tie off is ugly and I still need to figure this part out better . The finish here is done with the "S" reversed to lock in the long weave cord and in reflection the woven portion should be pulled through the ring but this ring isn't large enough . It was instead woven in as a reverse of the over/under . I used a simple half hitch to use up some of the leftover long cord , and the result isn't very pretty . I think the next one I will explore being able to find a means to dress up the finish end and pad the shoulder area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
number1wrench

Re: Not new and not pretty .

Post by number1wrench »

American ingenuity, this type of sling is not rare, just takes a little time and effort. Looks good to me.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Maybe not new and not pretty but but it is practical, functional and that makes it pretty! It's a nice to see this yankee ingenuity alive and well. I'd be very proud of sporting my rifle with such a sling.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I really need to learn that flat braiding. I learned rope splicing as a kid (about forgot everything I learned), but never had any teaching on flat braiding.

Yep, I'm intrigued :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

This might help . This is the older one from 15 yr ago.
1432340186183-1769621962.jpg
This shows the figure 8 to start .
20150522_165046.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:…never had any teaching on flat braiding.
Same here, I would like to learn to do this.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I remember back in the 70s buying a book on how to make hanging basket holders from yarn, macramé(?), and should be the same thing. Bet Youtube has a bunch videos on this too.
Je suis Charlie
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

[youtube][/youtube]

I think this is what everyone is looking for.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”