bullet mold lube

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
saxmann10
My Press Choice: Turret

bullet mold lube

Post by saxmann10 »

on the lee aluminum molds- whats the preferred lube for the guide pins and sprue plate on a new mold. all i have is the alox in the size kit-which isnt recommended. I have been told to use silver antisieze, 2cycle synthetic oil and a mix of the 2. i would like this mold to last a long time-.452 230rn tL thanks again
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: bullet mold lube

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lee use to recommend their #90007 Alox Bullet Lube Stick. That was a bit confusing with Alox in the name. It was actually the NRA formula (50/50 Alox/Beeswax). Lee no longer offers it.
mold_lube_old.jpg
Of course the new instructions call for beeswax or anti-seize. My choice would be the beeswax as it is easy to over do it with the anti-seize and absolute hell to clean it up especially during a casting session.
mold_lube_new.jpg
I would look for something like this: Larson's Bee's Wax Stick. It would probably last you twenty years as you will not use much. As I noted, I'm using the old Lee product and one stick seems to be worth about 10 years casting. You are not going to use much of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Chickenthief »

I use tiny aounts of 2-stroke oil (synthetic as it smokes less).
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I use Permatex Anti-seize applied with a Q-Tip. But I need to do something else for the sprue plate because I need to Lock tight the screw.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”