telescopic sights

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
beekeeper

telescopic sights

Post by beekeeper »

Finally got my first one and have it on a rifle!
What velocity do you have to have before the 1/4 inch at 100, 1/2 inch at 200 and so on actually works?
I am going to use it on a 7x57 MM Mauser with Hornady 150 grain jacketed bullets

Trying to figure it out as a quick reference at the range and when PD shooting!

Beekeeper
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: telescopic sights

Post by RBHarter »

Boy ,that's a rough 1. I don't think it can be done with a 7x57 . A 200 yd zero will give you about 2.5 to 3.25 over at 100 depending on the specific bullet and a nominal 2800 fps . 300 will be 6-10 under . Depending on the particular scope that and whether it is a metric equivalent to a 1/4 inch per click or a milrad or 1/4 min per click at 100 yd or meters will give you the final solution. Milrads are 1.15 inches at 100 yd at 4 clicks per . Some scopes will be calibrated in 1/4 inch clicks at 100 yd and others at 100 meters.

The optimal answer is to establish a bullseye zero at 100 yd (or meters) and do a box test . Use a girded target and a as small a point as you can see and hold . Fire 1 shot move the scope 6 clicks up 3 down 1 up. (4 clicks up total) Fire a shot . Repeat moving it right 6,3,1. Fire 1 shot repeat moving down. 1 shot . Repeat moving left 1 shot. This will give you in a perfect world 5 shots that form a perfect 1 inch square and 4 holes. It will show you what the true click value is and show you the accuracy of the adjustments. Of course if any of the parts are not up to par then you may get a square that isn't or an over lap. Lastly with a nominal zero for your shooting, shoot known distances and create a true range chart for that load . 100 yd zero , -4 clicks for 50 ,+7 clicks for 200 plus 29 for 300 . Just be sure you start from zero , the same zero every time ,and set back to YOUR zero after each outting. there are several phone apps that will let you input bullet weight ,muzzle velocity, BC, wind optics and zero and give you back a hold over in clicks for mils or inches for meters or yd and drift. I use Strelok. It has proven accurate It will give you a 1 shot at x range or a whole spread sheet 0-1000 in 25,50,100,200 yd increments.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”