Savage rifles

Open forum for rifles.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Re: Savage rifles

Post by Zippidydoodah »

beekeeper wrote:It is chambered in 8x56R , uses a 230 or 300 grain bullet.
The one I use is a cast bullet called the Old Feller Frankenstein bullet and casts at 310 grains with my alloy
Without a scope it will keep them in a 3 inch circle at 100 meters if I do my part and not get frustrated.
Has one heck of a recoil with 35 grains IMR 4895 and the 300+/- cast bullet. And quite a fireball if shot at night
The barrel is only 18 1/2 inches long

beekeeper
beekeeper, did you make those stocks or what did you use for those stocks, I have a few stryr carbines left that could use a nice stock. I tried a Winchester short action stock and it requires some work to make it usable.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I tried reducing some .338 hornady 225 grain bullets thru the lee .329 bullet sizer. Takes a lot of force, but used 90 wt gear lube with lithium ep and made it easier to swage them thru. Hard kicking little carbine.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

I made the stock from scratch.
The wood is simple bannister grade maple 2 by 8 that you can get at any lumber yard.
Drew the outline of the barrel and receiver on it, cut it out with a saber saw and did the shaping work with a mallet, chisels, and a rasp.
All in all I have about 40 hours of work in shaping the stock and another 20 or so in the finish.

beekeeper

Return to “Rifle Discussions”