Full length resize .270 Win. brass

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Full length resize .270 Win. brass

Post by number1wrench »

Okay I know that all I need to do is try it, won't hurt anything. Please don't ask me why, reason irrelevant. Picking range brass, can I use my 06 full length resizer w/o neck sizer to size then reload and fire form for my .270 Win.? I know shoulder angle, case length and all that is different ,but the basic case is the same. Just wondering if any one has done this or something similar? Alright I have .270 collet die set but no 2 die full length set, satisfied. 2die set is my next purchase, just getting wintertime SADS, need to break boredom. Seems like a stupid question. Thanks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Full length resize .270 Win. brass

Post by Ranch Dog »

Can you chamber of the once fired cases?
Michael
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

I can't answer that conclusive of all this range brass, my best answer would be not all of it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You could run them through with the 30-06 Spfld Pacesetter die (full length die) without the EZ X Pander in the die. Run them all the way up into the die to shell holder contact. This would redefine the shoulder of the once fired brass, usually the part that is out of spec and what makes the bolt hard to close. It is not going to resize the last bit of the shoulder, the last .0471" of it, but then you could run them through 270 Win Collet to do that portion. I'd try one case and see how a dummy round works.
270 Winchester.jpg
30-06 Springfield.jpg
270_in_30--06_pacesetter.jpg
ColletNeckSizer_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

I will give that a try on any cases that won't chamber. I got to thinking after your first response, it would be foolish to resize any that would chamber, I would just be unnecessarily working the brass. I think I will be purchasing the two die RGB set and might just hold off on the brass that won't chamber until the dies are in my hands. That will all depend on how much brass won't chamber and how big a hurry I get in this cold weather. Thank you so much for the input, I don't feel it was such a foolish question now. Your drawings and illustration were great. They explain in greater detail than I had comprehended Interestingly my old Hornady book shows the 06 case shoulder 17 degree 16 minute others show the same 17 degree 30 minute. I had always assumed .270Win. and 06 were the same as 06 was parent, I did know the case lengths differed slightly. This is my first .270Win. I'm loving it, very accurate so far with factory ammo. Now I can say I learned something new today, I make that a habit every day as I probably misplace that much knowledge also.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck and please let me know if this theory works!
Michael

Return to “Rifle”