92' bummer.

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

92' bummer.

Post by RBHarter »

Ok it's not as bad as all that.
Last year just about this time I found a 45 Colts 92' Rosschester and snatched it up because out here you just don't see many that are affordable and available. I don't know if I expected to much having had a Marlin 1895CB in 357 that shot all pistol loads very well.
Anyway I had a hunting load worked up for an old Blackhawk that was just barely into the Ruger loads because that's where it quit grouping for want of a harder boolit. Besides that Lee 452-252 SWC at 262 gr is starting to not be fun to shoot at 1050 fps. Well the rifle was for a hog hunt (a guy should have some excuse) and that was it's 3rd outing . The 1st was just to see if it would feed the SWC which it did and it hit close enough to random hill rocks to go ahead. The 2nd outing with the same loads 8.0 Unique had me dinging 8 and 10 in steel at ranges from 25 to 60 yd in a rather boring way......
The 3rd outing was at the hog ranch and at the sight check the 50 yd target showed me a 2ft circle and the 252 making oval holes with the 9.5 Unique load that had given me field groups in the Blackhawk of 5-6 in at 50 yd. Fortunately I had 20 or so of the 8.0 loads left and to my well whatever they cuddled up into 2 eyeball inches about 2 inches high and left so it was "go team". Now most of the regulars will remember that it killed some hogs pretty dead pretty much where they stood ,even the juiced up 1 on the run didn't actually go that far.
I've racked my brain trying to figure out why the boolits tipped and blew the groups for 8 months while I tinkered with other things. The best I have is that the higher velocity achieved in the carbine upwards of 1450 crossed some weight/shape/air flow thing and the boolit was literally going axx over tea kettle due to it going faster than the air could move. (Or some similar lay term explanation ) . Fortunately the same load worked with the 452-255 RNFP in the Blackhawk so maybe I'll get lucky and it will be a wind resistance thing and these will shoot better than the SWC. I was gifted a 44 mould that I'm told drops at .448 so I may try some paper patching too. I've typed that twice now and it makes me chuckle every time as I have visions of a 56' Buick Road Master staging up next to Shirley Muldowny at the Winter Nationals .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”