9mm With Winchester Super Field a.k.a. WSF

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
6Gears1Speed
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I'm a post-shortage handloader so I'm just now getting to try some of the powders that the old timers have been using for years as the stuff is finally starting to appear on the shelves.

I don't know if WSF qualifies as an old tried and true powder but there were two bottles of it on the shelf along with Win 231 and WST so I bought two WSF, two WST and four 231 since I know that's an old favorite.

Prior to buying the WSF I looked it up real quick and read that people were happy with it in 9mm. The bottle also specifically states that it's a good 9mm powder.

Last night I made up 20 rounds to test in my HK VP9. The VP9 likes'em hot so I'm tinkering with different powders to find the perfect blend. I just shot them but I don't have a chrono yet and it was indoors anyway so I was wondering if anyone here has experience with WSF in 9mm and can comment. I already had some 9mm loaded using Bullseye and Tightgroup so I compared back to back to back. I'm using Xtreme 115 grain plated RN bullets.

Here are the loads I compared. All at about 1.125 OAL. I'm using range pickups so they vary by a touch:
WSF - 5.0 grains
Bullseye - 4.7 grains
Tightgroup - 4.1 grains

Of the three the Bullseye was by far the most potent of them, at least by what my hand, ears and eyes told me. What came with the power was quite a big muzzle flash which I don't like.

The Tightgroup and WSF were actually very comparable as far as felt recoil and muzzle flash. Nearly no flash. The VP9 cycled well and also ejected well with both. I can't comment much on accuracy yet as the gun is new to me and I'm still getting acquainted with it. The most I can say is that TG and WSF were more accurate than the Bullseye. Whether that's due to the recoil, flash and anticipation while shooting the Bullseye I don't know. I think I have some room to work with on both the TG and WSF.

So, specific to the WSF does anyone here have experience with it and have anything to say good or bad about it? Do you have a proven recipe for it in a 9mm pistol that requires a heavy load to cycle and eject properly?

Next I'm trying the W231 and WST. Based on what I've read I'm expecting the WSF to pack more of a punch than those two but not sure.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 9mm With Winchester Super Field a.k.a. WSF

Post by 62chevy »

Bullseye is only list in either Lyman #49 Or Lee 2nd edition for the 115 grain Hornady XTP and 4.7 is a MAX load. It may not exceed the 1200 FPS Xtreme say to use but still could be more that a plated bullet wants. The most you should use is 4.2 grains of Bullseye, reduce max by 10%.

I point this out because I believe the over charge is what caused Bullseye not to perform well.
Je suis Charlie
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Thanks. The only reason I used it at all was because I had used it in 45ACP and know it has a kick. Since I had no data in the Lee book I had to try to figure it out. I knew 4.7 would be hot but it's too hot and I don't like the flash so I'm not even going to use it anymore. I have several other more appropriate powders now.

When I first bought the VP9, IMR 4756 at 5.0 grains would not even cycle the gun. I had been using those successfully in my Sig P938 and Beretta 92fs. 5.2 is the Never Exceed number for 115 grain lead. That's what got me searching for a new recipe for the VP9 which is currently my only 9mm pistol.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I probably should have titled the thread differently. Basically I need a load that that will properly operate my VP9. Cycle, eject, accurate. Like I said, the gun requires hotter ammo to operate properly. Bullet is Xtreme 115 RN regular plate and The Bulletworks of the same. Powders I have to work with right now are W231, WST, WSF and Tightgroup. I like low flash and can manage reasonable recoil. If anybody can suggest a load with what I have to work with it would save me some experimenting time. I don't mind tinkering but would rather tinker once I have something to shoot with in the meantime. Thanks.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Nosler ed#4 with 115gr fmj states sr4756 is the most accurate powder tested and 6.5 gr max gave 1176 fps(76% load density. 5.0 grains was below their starting load of 5.5 gr. they didn't list any other powder you have.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Sierra 50th Ed lists only W231 with their Sierra 115 gr fmj seated at 1.090". Starting load 4.6 gr/1100fps; 4.9/1150; 5.2/1200; 5.5 gr MAX AT 1250FPS.
Use at your own risk.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Nosler ed#4 with 115gr fmj states sr4756 is the most accurate powder tested and 6.5 gr max gave 1176 fps(76% load density. 5.0 grains was below their starting load of 5.5 gr. they didn't list any other powder you have.
Wow. The Lee book lists 4756 at 4.5 to 5.2 for lead 115 grain. I've been using Berry's or Xtreme regular plate which indicates to use high end lead to mid range FMJ data. The Lee book and the Winchester/Hodgdon website has 4756 at the range above as well as Tightgroup, W231 (lead) and WSF (Jacketed). How could the Noslter data be so much higher on the 4756 and not have the other three listed at all? Even for FMJ that's a big jump.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”