Trouble Getting My Loadmaster Dialed In

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Trouble Getting My Loadmaster Dialed In

Post by Steve »

I had not loaded anything for a few weeks, got a little bored yesterday. Set down at the Loadmaster and threw together a couple greater powder charges than my usual 40 S&W load. Only did 2 loads of 50 rounds each, but it was really nice how the Loadmaster just worked perfectly (it usually does), no fiddling around, just operated the way it should. Very relaxing.

I have shot these loads in my pistols, and I like them. Want to try them in my daughter's XD 40 sub compact. Want to check velocity and accuracy with the 3 inch barrel. She is more used to the pistol now so she might like a little more snap.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

It's the little details I'm having trouble with. Which kind of lube and how much. How tight to torque this screw or that nut. I notice that if any of these aren't just right it causes problems.

For instance, the two screws on the connector piece that goes from the case feeder rod to the case feeder needs to be just right. Too loose and it won't feed. Too tight and it will bind. The thumb nut holding the shell plate down is the same. Too tight and it won't turn. Too loose and it will back out over time and cause inconsistent OAL. I settled on grease because everything else I used didn't work as well and required frequent reapplication, but mt friend tell me that if I'm not using STP oil treatment for lube then I'm wasting my time. Once I get all these things ironed out I'll be able to relax.
Steve

Post by Steve »

6Gears1Speed wrote:It's the little details I'm having trouble with. Which kind of lube and how much. How tight to torque this screw or that nut. I notice that if any of these aren't just right it causes problems.

For instance, the two screws on the connector piece that goes from the case feeder rod to the case feeder needs to be just right. Too loose and it won't feed. Too tight and it will bind. The thumb nut holding the shell plate down is the same. Too tight and it won't turn. Too loose and it will back out over time and cause inconsistent OAL. I settled on grease because everything else I used didn't work as well and required frequent reapplication, but mt friend tell me that if I'm not using STP oil treatment for lube then I'm wasting my time. Once I get all these things ironed out I'll be able to relax.
For the crank slider (you call it -- the two screws on the connector piece that goes from the case feeder rod) I use "MONTANA X-TREAM GUN GREASE" don't ask me what is in it, I have tried a lot of lube and this is what I find that works. Buy it. Also use some 600 grit wet sand paper and polish the square rod where the crank slider rides. I use the same grease on the shell plate and index rod. I had a couple shell plates that I lapped them down a few thousandths so I could tighten the shell plate nut. I don't pretend to know if that was the right thing to do, but it worked. Have replaced carriers since then and they still work.

For the ram I use 85 weight synthetic gear lube mixed 50 - 50 with STP. It only takes a few drops around the ram to put a film on that last a long time.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Still having indexing rod issues. Now instead of flying out or crashing into the frame it's binding on the way out of the carrier. It just plain gets stuck. Are there any parts explosion diagrams available anywhere? I don't see anything on the Lee website. As I said, I bought this used and I'm having such a difficult time getting it to run properly I'm starting to think that either something is wrong with it or I'm missing some sort of small part I don't know about that's preventing it from staying adjusted. I'm no rocket scientist but I'm not a knucklehead either. After two months of messing with this thing it should be running by now. The fact that the problems are intermittent is what's driving me nuts. It works and then it doesn't.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I removed the press from my bench in order to make a new platform and to make sure I had all parts required.

Does anybody here know the correct installation order of the parts inside the ram? It seems intuitive but the way I had it didn't feel right. The hatch door was very loose. I think there is supposed to be tension provided by a spring.

The parts I have are:
- Two washers that are round on one side and square on the other side. One goes on the outside of the ram between the bolt head and aluminum base, and one goes on the inside.
- A spring about 1/2" long that goes onto the draw bolt.
- A pinch washer that goes onto the draw bolt.
- The primer hatch door.

On the bottom of the ram there is an aluminum base where the draw bolt goes into. You put one flat washer onto the bolt and insert the bolt into the base. From there inside the ram I think it's, primer hatch, the second flat washer, spring, pinch washer. Problem is that in this order the spring and pinch washer ride up and provide no function, but I don't see any other order that makes sense or even works.

Why am I taking it apart? This is an illness I've had since I was a kid. I've always had to take things apart to see how they work. :)

Thanks.

Last edited by 6Gears1Speed on 07 Jan 2015 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

This is the only thing that makes sense so I guess it's correct. It just seems that the pinch washer rides up then the hatch just flops around. I smashed the pinch washer down flat to provide more force so maybe it will stay put.

Rmelchiori

Post by Rmelchiori »

I just got the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition manual. There is a little write-up on the history of each press. They mention a problem with early Loadmasters regarding the ram. Since you have it apart, I thought I would mention it. They said that they added a knurling on the ends of the ram. They said that without it, rough handling would cause the carrier to move and cause problems with alignment, priming and indexing. You said that your Loadmaster was used. Maybe it's an early model that hasn't been updated? It's worth checking for the knurling, at least.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

It's used but not old and after I cleaned it up it looked brand new. It does have the knurling.

When I bought all new aluminum parts after destroying them I bought a bunch of spare parts including the pinch washer and spring for the ram. I used them and it's tighter now.
It's all back together and a quick test went well but it's late and I won't be doing any real testing until tomorrow. There wasn't a lot of flex to begin with but now there is none so hopefully that helps. I also got some STP like my friend has been begging me to do so I'll try that after checking with the original lube. I wan't to know what fixes it.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

It's finally working right and it wasn't any one thing.

First I doubled up on the platform so there's no flex. Then I adjusted the index rod so it's no longer binding. I had been playing with the indexing rod to line up the shell plate but it got too long and caused it to bind. I decided to get the rod moving smoothly then move to the next thing.

Once the rod was moving in and out smoothly I left it alone and worked on the carrier and turret. Rather than adjusting one thing at a time I raised the ram with all 5 shells in place and loosened the draw bolt and the turret thumb nut. I use a lock washer and flat washer on the turret thumb nut so it doesn't back out but replaced them with heavier ones. Once it was all lined up with the ram all the way up I tightened the draw bolt and turret thumb nut.

I made 20 rounds with no failures but it's a new recipe so I couldn't make any more until I test them. I can tell by the feel that I will be able to make as many as I want now with no failure. This is with my 9mm dies. Hopefully when I change dies I can use the same procedure to line it all up. Theoretically all I should have to deal with is the turret alignment when changing calibers. I hope...

Return to “Progressive”